lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Lifted Golf Carts
Lifted Golf Carts Off-Road Golf Carts.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-06-2022, 08:32 PM   #1
ez-go-670
Not Yet Wild

Default toe setting for high speed driving

Hey guys I'm trying to make my cart manageable at speed. The problem is it has a home made 4 link with about 12" of travel, the old style ez-go steering set up doesn't seem to work well with much travel. I have extended the link arm so that at ride height the tie rods are level, and still the toe goes out about 3" at full droop out. So I had it set up for about 1/2" toe in at ride Height to mitigate extreme toe out when the front end is light. I'm gonna try and set the toe straight and see how that does but I'm worried it will have really really bad bump steer coming off a wheelie with so much toe out at droop.

Any input on where you guys set these for carts that cruise fast. I have 8:1 gears and the engine will cruise happily at 45mph around 6500rpm with barely any pedal its just super sketchy to keep straight. fastest I can comfortably cruise is like 30mph, which sucks. This thing should do 55 maybe 60 with the stock tires I figure...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg undefined - Imgur (1).jpg (209.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20221127_173129.jpg (197.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20221127_155544.jpg (200.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20221127_155612.jpg (193.9 KB, 0 views)
ez-go-670 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-07-2022, 01:16 AM   #2
Cartmaster
British born Nincompoop

E-Z-GO

Default Re: toe setting for high speed driving

I have no words for you. Try posting on the " I intend to kill myself " Forum.

With such a wide track solid beam axle, you will need to rethink your entire steering / suspension system.

I commend your build skills and bravery though LOL
Cartmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2022, 11:47 AM   #3
ez-go-670
Not Yet Wild

lol I have an old nova that does the same thing when you jack up the front end the toe goes out like 2". with slicks the front end almost completely unloads on a launch and gives me the same feeling like the steering doesn't respond and the whole car does a side to side motion kinda feels like your driving a boat that chine walks really bad... its more manageable then it sounds.

Anyone ever do a regular old tie bar and drag link like a 4x4 on these things? I guess I could just use one of the existing tie rods as the drag link and hang a new tie rod underneath the knuckles.
Old 12-11-2022, 12:18 AM   #4
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

with cartmaster

With that said, one thing I've learned about front suspension is that long travel isn't always better. The biggest thing is the style of suspension you are dealing with, trying to perfect something that cannot be perfected.

The steering box/pitman arm steering system was never designed for long travel. You will always have "bump steer". Yes, at higher speeds like 40-50 mph you are dealing with a "death machine".

To remedy.....install a rack and pinion steering system and a double wishbone suspension system. You can achieve a soft long travel ride and still have a tight steering with stable feel and almost zero bump steer. There are kits available from Jakes called the LT kit. Or you can build your own from an atv front suspension.

I cannot see any way to get a straight axle setup to have both long travel and stable steering at speed.
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2022, 03:09 PM   #5
ez-go-670
Not Yet Wild

I know IFS would be better for what I'm doing but I didn't go that way just because I think it looks goofy on the older ez-go.

I'm thinking about converting it to 2002 and up ez-go style steering with the rack and pinion mounted to the axle. The oem intermediate shaft probably wont have enough travel but I bet I could find some standard chevy truck I shaft that has enough travel and can be welded in-between the ez go knuckles.

would be cheap and easy
https://www.ebay.com/itm/38507089359...Bk9SR-6jgK-gYQ

https://www.ebay.com/itm/26426959771...3ABFBMoPDtq6Bh
Attached Images
File Type: png Screen-Shot-2016-02-06-at-21.41.43 (1).png (87.6 KB, 0 views)
Old 12-11-2022, 04:53 PM   #6
ez-go-670
Not Yet Wild

just tried toe straight = absolute death machine. going back to toe in 1/2" lol
Old 12-11-2022, 04:57 PM   #7
mrmotoguzzi00
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by ez-go-670 View Post
just tried toe straight = absolute death machine. going back to toe in 1/2" lol
LOL, i set mine to about a 1/8 toe in and the same for camber.... at 30 it's good at 35 it's a little sensitive...
mrmotoguzzi00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2022, 05:33 PM   #8
ez-go-670
Not Yet Wild

I might try cranking some more castor in to it maybe like 4-5 deg will straighten her out I think its at about 3 now.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Lifted Golf Carts