lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk!
Big Block Talk! Everything about swapping a big block engine into your cart!

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-30-2022, 10:35 PM   #21
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Default Re: Jetting stock carb on vanguard 18 hp

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayreynoldsii5 View Post
The valve springs are shimmed as they should be. I do plan on checking the push rods as well as everything else. Thanks for the help guys. I will let you know what I find as I go along.
Keep us posted. You'll get this figured out
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-04-2022, 12:00 PM   #22
jayreynoldsii5
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

So I pulled the motor Friday night and found the flywheel to be advanced correctly. So this morning I cracked the case. The cam is timed correctly, and I assume it is a 23jp cam but the weights have been removed from the cam. So I am confused as to what could be the cause of my issue. I have been working through this with one of the guys at CPP, told him my findings and am waiting to hear back from him.

Also along with not hitting the rpm it was sucking gas like crazy
jayreynoldsii5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2022, 02:33 PM   #23
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

If it is the 23 hp cam the governor has been removed. If it is the Cheetah cam it never had one. You should be able to see the "scars" from the gov being removed if it is the 23HP stocker. If it is sucking so much gas makes me wonder if it is just a rich mixture killing the revs. Again if it is that rich I would expect the plugs to really being black and fouled up.
raydhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2022, 02:48 PM   #24
jayreynoldsii5
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Yeah they are rich it that’s the case then I have done a lot of work for nothing. I guess on the plus side I can clean up this shitty cut and paint it. There is also some other things I don’t 100% like they did too. Oh well I guess it’s a winter project
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CD5A6037-B5B8-4817-9162-09D182953A07.jpg (100.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 8342C851-255B-40C6-B338-1CED92EDF303.jpg (202.8 KB, 0 views)
Old 12-04-2022, 04:06 PM   #25
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

There is the compression release on the stocker cam. At least you know what is what. You certainly want to look at what was done to the carb as to why it was so rich. Something you can see now is what I was trying to point out by measuring lift and looking how quickly it comes off peak. Even with the 23 hp cams extra lift the lobe is quite pointy because the stockers have short duration. The racing Cheetah cam would have much rounder oval like profile. It is pretty pronounced when you watch the rocker movement when slowly hand rotate the engine.
Old 12-04-2022, 05:51 PM   #26
jayreynoldsii5
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

So are what are your thoughts on these? Do you think they are too big? How do I determine what size they are?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 8E1FC330-D218-4E46-8D56-A19DBEFC5D2F.jpg (230.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 0F18B034-8E1C-4750-8F6C-A18486DB133D.jpg (64.1 KB, 0 views)
Old 12-04-2022, 08:42 PM   #27
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

IMHO Your best bet would be to call CPP and see what jets they recommend and just get them new.
Old 12-05-2022, 12:14 AM   #28
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

You can look in the Briggs manual for that engine and it'll tell you the correct jets. I think I might have one for that. I might even have a digital copy.

A really wise old mechanic coined this phrase that I use in my every day work in diagnosics.... "Tell me what's good and I'll tell you what's bad." Meaning: in order to find the problem you have to check all the basics in a systematic order and check things off the list that you know are good. You did all the right things. No one said engine work was easy right? Stay the course.

If your plugs are black and sooty then yes, jetting is an issue or airflow is a problem. What kind of intake is on this engine?
Old 12-05-2022, 09:09 AM   #29
jayreynoldsii5
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

I have a digital copy of the manual, I didn't know if I would want a bigger than stock or not..... The intake and carb are both stock, it's the single barrel one. the engine work isn't bad considering, at least compared to a car. It was the fact that I disassembled have of the cart to get the motor out, to then realizes I probably could have done it by removing 6 bolts and dropping out of the bottom, which is what I did anyway lmao. Like I said, it gives me a chance to 'fix' some of the things I don't like about the work completed. Along with the rough cut on the motor plate, there are under glow lights wired with wire nuts! Im gonna put it back together this week and get the jets on order. At least it's winter and not time to be at my seasonal yet! May have to break out the heater soon though!
Old 12-06-2022, 09:49 PM   #30
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

I've had several stock 16hp Vanguards and they use the same carb just slightly smaller, maybe 2mm. One engine I have a rev kit and Cheetah cam and I run stock jetting, it'll rev to 6000 rpm no problem, runs fantastic with power for days. The 18 Vanguard is not a lot different, uses the same style 1 barrel carb. With your setup I would just run the stock jets, start there, see what's what. Install new Autolite copper plugs, no platinum or iridium. Make sure you have good sealed air filter and carb gaskets are not cracked. Make sure your battery is charged up, cables are tight, make sure they are all wired correctly, make sure the alternator wire is wired up correctly. Drain the fuel, start with pump fresh fuel, and run it. Take a plug reading. See what you got.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk!