lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk!
Big Block Talk! Everything about swapping a big block engine into your cart!

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-21-2022, 08:47 PM   #1
jayreynoldsii5
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Default Hooking throttle direct question

So I have a club car with a 18 hp vanguard previous owner had put in. Throttle is currently run to the transaxle governor then to the carb. From what I understand it is best to bypass the governor and hook the throttle cable direct to the carb. My question is can I hook it up the same as the governor cable is hooked up or should I get a swivel to mount the cable to the carb? Thanks for any help.
jayreynoldsii5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-22-2022, 12:18 AM   #2
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Default Re: Hooking throttle direct question

The photos are real clear what you have there, but I'll let you know how I usually do mine. If the cable is long enough, I cut the cable at the transaxle and run it up to the carb. This would be the cable from the pedal. I mount the cable to the carb directly with a cable stop, similar to what you have pictured, it's a little brass tube with a threaded bolt in it that smashes down and locks the cable in place. That's it.

If the engine doesn't have a cable holder, you might have to rig something up for that, I usually use couple small pieces of aluminun bar stock and fasten it to an existing bolt. This part will hold the actual cable with sheath, very similar to the one in your photo. Sometimes the stock one is in the correct place, sometimes not.

Also, return springs are super important. I usually buy an assortment of carb return springs at the auto parts store for that, just figure a way to rig up the spring so it pull the throttle closed. This one as to be strong, you don't want that throttle sticking open at any point.

For the governor on the engine, you can do two things. One is to bypass it all together and run the cable straight to the carb. The other is to use the govneror mechanism to work the throttle, keeping the carb throttle rods in place etc, but you have to disable the govnernor. To disable it, just loosen the nut on the governor lever bolt so that the govnernor shaft just spins inside the lever. This way the governor can't pull on the throttle cable anymore. Pretty easy.
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2022, 12:43 AM   #3
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Here's a few pics of my 16 from back in the day
Attached Images
File Type: jpg vanguard 16.jpg (229.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg vanguard throttle 1.jpg (201.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg vanguard governor shaft.jpg (175.1 KB, 0 views)
Old 11-22-2022, 06:20 AM   #4
jayreynoldsii5
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

If you look in the middle pic…..it’s upside down. On the r left you will see the idle adjustment screw and the throttle lever on the carb. The spring is hooked directly to the transaxle governor cable. From what I can tell this must have an electronic governor on it or possible no governor at all because it has the high rev kit in it
Old 11-22-2022, 08:52 AM   #5
jayreynoldsii5
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

If you look in this pic I don't think I have a governor, it should be taking up quite a bit of real estate along where the cable goes in from the trans axle.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6080[1].jpg (163.2 KB, 0 views)
Old 11-22-2022, 10:57 PM   #6
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

You do have a mechanical governor, it's that shaft that sticks straight up in the front there, it's just not connected to anything, so that's good.

Those Vanguards don't have electronic governors, only mechanical. So if your throttle cable from the carb goes straight to the transaxle, then you are govnerend by the transaxle. That will drastically limit your performance.
Old 11-23-2022, 07:25 AM   #7
jayreynoldsii5
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

I plan to hook it direct over the holiday.
Old 11-24-2022, 01:13 PM   #8
jayreynoldsii5
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

So I hooked it direct and the pedal
Is more responsive but the motor still only revs to just under 3000 under load and about 4000 without a load. How do I get this to go up??
Old 11-25-2022, 12:50 AM   #9
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Something isn't right. Have you checked fuel delivery, spark, air filter, etc?

I would also check to see if the carb butterfly is opening all the way. With the battery disconnected (safety first), remove the air filter housing so you can see down into the carb. Move the pedal to full throttle position and look to see if the carb butterfly is open all the way. If not, you might have an issue with either how the cable is hooked up, or not enough travel in the pedal to open the butterfly 100%.

Also check the choke and make sure it freely opens and closes and isn't getting partially closed while running.
Old 11-25-2022, 03:26 PM   #10
jayreynoldsii5
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Here is a video of running it up to full throttle with no load
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk!