lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts > Columbia ParCar

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-19-2022, 01:28 PM   #1
kaiserbl
Not Yet Wild

Default '07 Par Car Eagle lithium ion conversion and OEM rear flip seat

Greetings Cart Gurus!
I bought a lightly used '07 Columbia Par Car Eagle 48v cart with lift kit, street legal package and a nice Delta-Q QuiQ 1000 onboard battery charger but 8 very old (7-9 yrs) Trojan 6v lead acid batteries that obviously need replacement for our hilly golf course and a planned 4ppl rear seat mod. Several questions:
1. Batteries. I'm convinced lithium ion is the way to go for weight, performance and ease of maintenance. I've settled on 48v 100ah as the right power/range vs price point.
1a. Do you all recommend an all-in-one 48v lithium ion "conversion kit" or can I get away with ala carte batteries ? My Delta Q1000 charger lists online as being lithium ion compatible but when I opened that .pdf it only specifically lists Samsung and Valence branded lithium ion. Assuming I can figure out the manual algorithm reset for a Delta Q1000 charger, should I expect the lithium algorithm to work for any brand of 48v (total) 100ah batteries?
1b. A standalone 48v 100ah LI battery with dedicated power meter, charger and conversion rack will run >$2,500. Any reason I can't buy 4 x 12v 100ah well-rated LI batteries I see on Amazon for $1,300 total, fasten them to the Par Car battery tray with a generic 12v battery attachment bar, program my Delta Q1000 charger to these 12v's, connect them all in series to main power leads, and finally add a $20 lithium ion LED power meter? Seems like I'd be about $1,400 "all in" for a powerful, 3-5,000 cycle cart power solution that is truly plug and play easy?
2. I know I'll need to add a 48v-12v "stepdown" if I want to add aftermarket stuff like effects lighting, stereo, etc. But what about the existing "street package" items like horn and headlights...is the power they receive already regulated or "stepped down" via an integral Par Car system?
3. What's my easiest OEM mod for a rear facing black cushion "flip seat" with comfy padding and a good safety bar? I want the platform option to move a tennis ball machine to/from courts. Looks like most OEM late model Club Car flip seats can be mounted with minimal modification based on a very few posts I've found on the topic?

Thank you all for your inputs...Im a brand new cart owner and really hope to optimize this Par Car for our family's use!
kaiserbl is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-19-2022, 04:24 PM   #2
Pat911
Gone Wild
Club Car

Default Re: '07 Par Car Eagle lithium ion conversion and OEM rear flip seat

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaiserbl View Post
Any reason I can't buy 4 x 12v 100ah well-rated LI batteries I see on Amazon for $1,300 total, fasten them to the Par Car battery tray with a generic 12v battery attachment bar, program my Delta Q1000 charger to these 12v's, connect them all in series to main power leads, and finally add a $20 lithium ion LED power meter? Seems like I'd be about $1,400 "all in" for a powerful, 3-5,000 cycle cart power solution that is truly plug and play easy?
Yes, because you WILL have balancing issues with the 4 separate batteries. Lithium is not like lead acid and one cannot be overcharged whilst waiting for the others to catch up. When the first battery reaches full charge it will cut off and stop charging of the the other three. This has been discussed many times here.
Pat911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2022, 03:25 PM   #3
Tech Support
How Can I Help?

If you're going to do it right, do a complete lithium system setup with the new charger and battery management system included. Sell the old DQ charger on CL or in the ads section here. Don't make a big investment only to take a little shortcut you might regret later.

That unit may already have an onboard DC-DC converter as it was an LSV. If so it would be mounted upside down on the frame rail that goes left to right above the rear axle. About the size of one of the large boxes of wooden matches, with a four wire plug on the outer end of it (2 red and 2 black wires).

Columbia makes an OEM flip cargo seat for the P4 but it is ridiculously expensive at $2490.42, which doesn't include the seat cushions themselves so you can pick a color, or the rear helper springs to support the added weight. But I attached photos so you can see what it looks like and search for an aftermarket version. (I've never sold one with that price).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Picture 1.JPG (27.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Picture 2.JPG (23.1 KB, 0 views)
Tech Support is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2022, 07:15 AM   #4
kaiserbl
Not Yet Wild

Hey Friends,
Just wanted to follow up on this post. I elected to keep the Delta-Q1000 charger/BMS after doing a generic reprogramming for LifePO4. The batteries DO charge up just fine despite an LED error code that displays once they're topped off. My issue, however, is that the golf cart runs VERY slowly for majority of use and will sometimes cut out completely. It occasionally also takes off like a bat out of hell so I know the 48v 90aH parallel installation does have enough power. Is this erratic speed likely an incompatible BMS with the DQ charger or is there a separate "speed controller" module for the Par Car Eagle I should be investigating?
Thanks
Old 09-16-2022, 08:15 AM   #5
Pat911
Gone Wild
Club Car

Which battery/batteries did your end up purchasing? More info is required to be able to advise you correctly.

Cheers
Pat.
Old 09-16-2022, 08:42 AM   #6
kaiserbl
Not Yet Wild

Hey Pat, I went with 3 x 48v LI NMC 30aH 1.5kwH batteries from a California outfit called Battery Evo that I wired in parallel. I'm going to start out by swapping my Delta Q1000 charger, which I reprogrammed to a generic LI algorithm, to a Battery Evo supplied 48v charger...however they're all "out of stock" so I will call and speak with their technicians.
Batteries:
https://batteryevo.com/48v-lithium-i...solar-storage/
Charger (intended):
https://batteryevo.com/48-volt-15a-d...ery-golf-cart/

What do you think?
Blair
Old 09-16-2022, 04:40 PM   #7
Pat911
Gone Wild
Club Car

Hi Blair,

I believe that the “generic” lithium profile you installed in the DeltaQ is not appropriate for your battery and hence the problems you’ve been having. The battery BMS is shutting off charge early to protect the battery cells.

The battery(s) you’ve chosen are not “standard 48v nominal” batteries. A 48v nominal NMC battery will have 14 cells, yours have only 12. That means that the generic profile you’ve been using will be charging with too high of a voltage for your 12S battery. It will be programmed for either 58.4v (16S LiFePO4) or 58.8v (14S NMC), most like;y 58.4v LiFePO4. Your battery Needs a maximum of 50.4v.

The new charger you’ve chosen is correct for a 12s NMC battery at 50.4v but I would see if it can be turned down to 48.8v (4.15v per cell) as even at 50.4v (4.2v per cell), the BMS will be stopping charging as soon as the first cell gets to 4.2v. One cell will always get there first. At 4.15v per cell, well balanced cells will never get to 4.2v and hence the charger will be allowed to go into saturation mode and complete the charge correctly with the BMS never stopping the charge, the charger will end the charge, which is the correct way to charge.

48.8v with adequate saturation will get you to over 98% state of charge and your batteries will have a longer service life.

Cheers
Pat.

Tags
battery, charger, flip seat, lithium ion
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts > Columbia ParCar