lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Lifted Golf Carts
Lifted Golf Carts Off-Road Golf Carts.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-09-2020, 08:07 AM   #1
azTony
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Locked steering - Jakes LT Lift

I have a 1996 EZGO and have had a Jakes LT Lift Kit for a few years now. The other day I was coming into my driveway and normally pull out into the middle of the street to back into my garage but I had a car behind me so I went up the curb in my drive way (rounded curb, normal for a driveway) and then back into the street (only the passenger tire went up the curb) and when I tried to turn the steering wheel it was locked!

I got out to look and it appeared the steering stops were at the point that when it stopped the steering the Tie Rod was apparently at the point where if it were bumped it would go past the stop point.

I keep reading this and it does not seem clear what actually happened but I simply pulled the wheel and it unlocked. Then I backed into the garage.

The next day I jacked it up and looked at at full lock on both sides it appeared the Tie Rod was perfectly inline with the spindle connection point and if it went any further it would be on the other "side" of the swing point. I figured I have been luck for a long time since I have not had to use a full lock in a turn and avoided this at speed. I adjusted the steering stops out to where the Tie Rod would never get to that point again and I believe this will fix it.

The thing I do not like is that it happened and I am wondering if the aluminum Tie Rod that came with the kit could have been compromised and weakened. Are there any beefed up replacement Tie Rods and Tie Rod ends I could replace them with?
azTony is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-11-2020, 07:52 AM   #2
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Default Re: Locked steering - Jakes LT Lift

There is nothing on the aftermarket that is made to replace those tie rods. With that said, you "can" order custom tie rods from any speed shop. Just measure you're tie rod in length, and tell them what size threads to machine into the ends. Speedway Motors can do this. The part is called "Swedged Rod".

https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Alumi...eads,5891.html
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 09:17 AM   #3
jclark138
Runs with scissors-

Yamaha

Glad nothing more happened And it’s sad you have to re-work such an expensive investment to make it safe
jclark138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 03:30 PM   #4
DaveTM
Gone Wild

I went to the above Speedway Motors link. They do have chromoly tie rods for $26 each...and I imagine add shipping. https://www.speedwaymotors.com/3-4-I...bes,49375.html

I don't know if the threaded ends will work on your application, but you can order the length in sizes starting at 10".

$50 seems relatively cheap if your really concerned about strength. Chromoly is what rifle barrels are made from. Strong stuff!!
DaveTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 10:14 AM   #5
azTony
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Anybody have any information on tie rod ends I could order to beef those up? Or is it even worth it?
Old 03-13-2020, 07:53 AM   #6
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by azTony View Post
Anybody have any information on tie rod ends I could order to beef those up? Or is it even worth it?
Just use some heim joints and misalignment spacers. I got all mine from Speedway, I used aluminum tie rods. I've been off road a ton with this machine and never bent a tie rod. Usually a bent tie rod comes from hitting a stationary object like a tree or boulder. If you use Chromo tie rods, expect damage at the tie rod end or the a arm. Tie rods are meant to be the part that bends, a sacrificial part of the suspension. Very easy and inexpensive to replace. They should be able to take a lot of abuse though before they bend. Normal golf cart use should NOT bend a tie rod. Chromoly is overkill IMO.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg atv 12.jpg (142.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg atv 14.jpg (160.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg atv 16.jpg (172.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg atv 13.jpg (158.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg atv 17.jpg (171.4 KB, 0 views)
Old 01-18-2023, 05:06 PM   #7
azTony
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by slonomo View Post
Just use some heim joints and misalignment spacers. I got all mine from Speedway, I used aluminum tie rods. I've been off road a ton with this machine and never bent a tie rod. Usually a bent tie rod comes from hitting a stationary object like a tree or boulder. If you use Chromo tie rods, expect damage at the tie rod end or the a arm. Tie rods are meant to be the part that bends, a sacrificial part of the suspension. Very easy and inexpensive to replace. They should be able to take a lot of abuse though before they bend. Normal golf cart use should NOT bend a tie rod. Chromoly is overkill IMO.
How is your heim joints holding up on your tie rods?
Old 01-19-2023, 10:48 PM   #8
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

I sold the cart but they were still on the cart last year, so they were used for many many years without issue. I'd have to look up the date I installed them to be sure how long, but years.
Old 01-20-2023, 08:52 AM   #9
DaveTM
Gone Wild

BTW and FWIW, I installed my Jake's LT in 2017. I'm still "running" with the same Heim joints and shocks today.

The Heim joints will get "squeaky" (not a good thing when hunting) so for the last 3 years or so I "lube" them with a chain oil. (Chain oil for bike chains...motorcycle etc). I know the thinking was\is that dirt would accumulate and cause the joints to fail, but so far that's not happened.

And all I drive on is dirt, mud, etc.
DaveTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Lifted Golf Carts