lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk! > Clone Engine Swaps

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-13-2020, 04:41 PM   #21
Shepard
Crazy Ole Man

Yamaha

Default Re: Parts List For 18 Amp Alternator

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRAZYMATT View Post
10-4 so mounting it on the shroud. I haven’t even pulled the kohler one out of the box it’s been sitting in there with bunch motor parts for over a year! This the onan unit:

same deal 2 ac wires from stator 1 dc + out to battery and then grounded through the body/mounting tab.
Yes - mount it the fan shroud. Make sure you use a ground wire - use a longer then necessary mounting screw and install it from the inside. Then hook your ground wire on the diode mount screw with a ny-loc nut and it can't vibrate loose.
Shepard is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-13-2020, 09:28 PM   #22
KRAZYMATT
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shepard View Post
Yes - mount it the fan shroud. Make sure you use a ground wire - use a longer then necessary mounting screw and install it from the inside. Then hook your ground wire on the diode mount screw with a ny-loc nut and it can't vibrate loose.
I use nylocks on everything unless there’s heat!
KRAZYMATT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 09:07 PM   #23
KRAZYMATT
Gone Wild
Club Car

I’ve been doing some research and everything I can find says the stock club car starter generator is 22amps output: the factory voltage regulator should work with the Honda 18a coil/flywheel. I really trying to keep the wiring clean/ factory looking as I can and If I can keep the regulator in the black box that would be great!
Old 05-21-2020, 09:17 PM   #24
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

The stock S/G produces DC voltage. The alternator produces AC voltage so it needs a rectifier as well as a regulator.
raydhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 09:29 PM   #25
KRAZYMATT
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by raydhd View Post
The stock S/G produces DC voltage. The alternator produces AC voltage so it needs a rectifier as well as a regulator.
Ah! Ok
Old 05-21-2020, 10:47 PM   #26
Shepard
Crazy Ole Man

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRAZYMATT View Post
I’ve been doing some research and everything I can find says the stock club car starter generator is 22amps output: the factory voltage regulator should work with the Honda 18a coil/flywheel. I really trying to keep the wiring clean/ factory looking as I can and If I can keep the regulator in the black box that would be great!
Sorry = the black box won't help you. As far as clean wiring goes -- if you mount the rectifier/regulator in the fan shroud the wires from the charge coil hook right to the ac connectors and the output wire can go to the battery terminal on the starter solenoid.
Old 06-10-2020, 12:54 PM   #27
KRAZYMATT
Gone Wild
Club Car

As I mentioned before onan has a rectifier for their 16-24 hp motors rated for 20 amps. I tried using the Koehler unit but mounting proved to be tricky as there is not much clearance from the flywheel/fan to the shroud/housing. I am keeping the recoil/pull starter unit on. I thought about milling the cooling fins down some but didn’t want to degrade the performance of the unit even though would get plenty of air being right next to the fan. So tinkered with the onan unit and I was able to cut an opening in the shroud right where the wires from the stator come out. Came out really well so this maybe another option for those looking to do this route on the clones (predator 420, duromax 440, Vegas carts 460) I did this on my Vegas carts vrx460.

I used the 18amp Honda charging coil & Honda 4 magnet flywheel posted here but I used onan rectifier #191-2277. Good for 20 amps.

Old 06-10-2020, 01:15 PM   #28
Shepard
Crazy Ole Man

Yamaha

Very nice job - clean and cool and looking good.
Old 06-11-2020, 02:16 PM   #29
KRAZYMATT
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shepard View Post
Very nice job - clean and cool and looking good.
Thanks, and just a follow up as we discussed, yes it is grounded good. Ran a piece of #12 from the mounting bolt to the shroud bolt in the block.

Attached Images
File Type: jpeg ED361D1A-E28D-4541-A99E-ED96F954A76F.jpeg (321.1 KB, 0 views)
Old 06-11-2020, 02:56 PM   #30
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

Just a note here. I used the kohler unit on my 440cc sled engine powered HD cart. The cooling area never even gets warm just mounted to the chassis. If you aren't drawing much amperage such as simple lights or recharging the battery from using the starter very little current flow is needed. Mounting is shown on page 5 of my 440 cc sled build.
raydhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk! > Clone Engine Swaps