lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk! > Sled Engine Swaps

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-22-2017, 07:57 AM   #1
jbbudzz
Not Yet Wild

Default Golf Cart Mod

I was wondering if anyone could help me. I have a golf cart that I am putting a 340 two stroke snowmobile engine in. I will be running 22" tires to a live axle. Belt drive to a jack shaft. I need some input on what kind of sprockets to run from the jack shaft to the axle. I want good torque and decent speed. Your input would be greatly appreciated.
jbbudzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-22-2017, 09:14 AM   #2
Gearhead1956
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Default Re: Golf Cart Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbbudzz View Post
I was wondering if anyone could help me. I have a golf cart that I am putting a 340 two stroke snowmobile engine in. I will be running 22" tires to a live axle. Belt drive to a jack shaft. I need some input on what kind of sprockets to run from the jack shaft to the axle. I want good torque and decent speed. Your input would be greatly appreciated.
I would suggest building your jackshaft and rear end gears so you can easily change the gearing.
You will not get it right the 1st time!
Depending on what your looking to achieve, where and how you use it.

With no trans like a M/C engine it is a very fine line.
I have several friends using sled engines, seems they get hole shot or top end but have had a difficult time getting both.
But that depends on what kind of top end your looking for??
My friends drag race theirs, so they want the best of both.

You can do some math to get close to what your top end would be.

Engine RPM, clutch ratio, gear to gear then diameter of tire.
Gearhead1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 09:35 AM   #3
jbbudzz
Not Yet Wild

I can figure the ratio between the sprockets but not sure how the two snowmobile clutches are equated in.
Old 07-22-2017, 09:46 AM   #4
Gearhead1956
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Quote:
I can figure the ratio between the sprockets but not sure how the two snowmobile clutches are equated in.
These clutches kind of act like a trans.

When you start out the belt is very close to the engine crank and the opposite on the rear. As rpms increase the belt rides up on the front clutch and down on the rear. That changes the gear ratio.
Old 07-22-2017, 10:17 AM   #5
jbbudzz
Not Yet Wild

Correct. I need to know what variation of sprockets to use for the motor to put power to the wheels. I was thinking 13/60. 13 on the jack shaft and 60 on the axle. Just not sure if the 60 tooth on the rear will give enough torque.
Old 07-22-2017, 11:06 AM   #6
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

Most of the snowmobile cvt's start with a "low gear of from 3-4:1 and "top gear of 1-.8:1. Eliminating the cvt and putting a fix ratio system with a 340 cc snowmobile is going to be at least a poor performer if not usable at all. The bike and atv swappers have transmissions but the snowmobile only has the cvt. Look on the snowmobile sites for tons of info. I did a lot of reading before doing my 440 cc snowmobile engine into the harley cart. I finally ended up with a retuned snowmobile primary with the stock harley cart's secondary.
raydhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 11:13 AM   #7
jbbudzz
Not Yet Wild

That's why I am adding a jack shaft to try and achieve the correct gearing. Are you saying it cant be achieved?
Old 07-22-2017, 11:21 AM   #8
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

Eliminating the cvt and merely adding a jack shaft and sprockets you are going to be stuck with a fixed ratio. Either a very speed limiting low ratio or a clutch burning high ratio.
raydhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 11:26 AM   #9
Gearhead1956
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Quote:
Correct. I need to know what variation of sprockets to use for the motor to put power to the wheels. I was thinking 13/60. 13 on the jack shaft and 60 on the axle. Just not sure if the 60 tooth on the rear will give enough torque.
I think your starting in the middle of the equation.

Start at the beginning and work back.

I would start equation with engine RPS, clutch ratio, use 1 to 1 on jack shaft, and tire diameter. See what top end that would produce. Then you can play with different jack shaft ratio's to produce the top end you want.

My experience with my friends cart with a 440 sled engine, If you gear it to go over about 45 MPH its to much gear to come out of the hole!

You may want bragging rights that your cart runs much faster! but the truth is what it is. Watch some U-tube of sled engine carts, they don't have much on the top!
45 maybe even to much gear? and 45 on a cart is fast!
Sled engines have HP but not much torque.
Old 07-22-2017, 11:30 AM   #10
Gearhead1956
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by raydhd View Post
Eliminating the cvt and merely adding a jack shaft and sprockets you are going to be stuck with a fixed ratio. Either a very speed limiting low ratio or a clutch burning high ratio.
I think he is going to use both cvt on a jack shaft. That's how my buddy done his. Its still a very fine line in the gearing. Top or bottom.

You just can not build much overdrive into the jack shaft! It will not come out of the hole!
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk! > Sled Engine Swaps