lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-29-2017, 07:14 PM   #1
locojo25
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default 1997 TXT carb issue

Excuse long windedness: I recently purchased a 1997 TXT with a 295 which physically was in very good condition. However it had small mechanical issues which I have slowly been correcting which leads me to my newest repair. I have replaced the voltage regulator, fuel pump and fuel filters. I also just recently adjusted the valves as per the instructions I found here. Now the cart will run decent but I must use the choke to start every single time whether cold or just shut off. My first idea was to disassemble the carb and do a full cleaning of it. Upon taking it apart I can see someone has been in there before and when they were they completely stripped the ears off of the main jet. Before I get creative with drills and ez outs would it be worth just replacing the carb? If I do go this route are the aftermarket carbs any good or should I stick with OEM? Is the carb even my main issue as to why it needs choking in order to start? I also don't believe that the metal baffle plate that bolts onto the carb through the airbox was present. Will this effect performance? I am trying to make this as reliable as possible as it is mostly my wife and child using the cart when we are at the race track. I would prefer to address this before I start adding my back seat and doing any spring or performance mods to allow the carrying of 4 adults. Thank you in advance for any help you can offer.

-Joe
locojo25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-29-2017, 07:25 PM   #2
Spicyunicorn
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Default Re: 1997 TXT carb issue

Stick with oem it probably just needs a good cleaning if it's needing choke to start it's likely the pilot jet is clogged carb kits cost the same as a Chinese carb but it's worth every penny to rebuild it I'm not sure on the baffle plate I'm sure someone will chime in on it
Spicyunicorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 08:03 AM   #3
kyerik
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

FWIW- My carb's throttle shaft was worn out, creating a loose fit and an air leak. No matter how much cleaning I did, it still didn't run right. I bought one of the $18 carbs off ebay for my 1990 marathon 2 cycle and it worked well. I will say that the assembly was a little sloppy (the fuel inlet fitting was clocked about 80 degrees in the wrong direction).
kyerik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 06:05 PM   #4
locojo25
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Update: got the old jet out, now to hopefully find a replacement locally, and get this thing scrubbed and reassembled. Double checked my valve adjustment, did a compression test (160 both cylinders) and put in new NGK plugs gapped at .022. Did notice that the cable running from the big governor spring back by the rear to the bottom of the cart looked pretty sloppy. Also should there be a spring back there holding that plate in place? Once I get it back together I want to do the short clutch belt mod and hopefully ill be in business!
Old 05-17-2018, 09:16 PM   #5
locojo25
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

So I know it has been a very long time almost a year but I kind of gave up on the cart last year as I had alot more to worry about. But today I took the carb all apart cleaned it and reassembled it. It still was not running right and needed choke to keep it running. I really think it needs a new accelerator cable as it is very sloppy so I am going to order one. I noticed that when I pressed the pedal the starter was spinning but no movement at all on the carb. So I adjusted the throttle screw so that it would open instantly when I pressed the pedal and it is starting much better. I think the sloppy cable repair will aid in this. I am out of adjustment in the cable too by the way. So now that it was starting I took it for a ride and seemed very sluggish so I started to open the choke slightly and it took right off and ran great. I adjusted the choke so it was closed just a little bit and it's running very smooth now. And starting and taking off the way I think it should. I am assuming that the choke adjustment is not the proper way to fix it but it is running awesome. This brings me back to the missing baffle in the air box. I am now thinking that it is vital to be in there to help regulate the air flow and it is a must to be replaced. Hopefully I can find one to test my theory. I am hoping it just needs the restricted air flow and I can adjust my choke back to being fully open when not in use. I also pulled up the gps on my phone and while cruising I was averaging 15-16 mph and no surging with my governor. I hope I am on to something with this thing! Next will be the annoying rattle coming from my clutch...
Old 05-18-2018, 08:02 AM   #6
nickdalzell1
Resident Curmudgeon

Yeah when the baffle is missing they almost always run very lean. We got a stockpile of extras because the exact symptoms happen and it's usually missing.

That rattle is often a failing driven clutch (one on the rear end). Some folks live with it if it can still make hills. they're kinda expensive and on TXTs the old one tends to seize itself on the shaft requiring some fun with angle grinders and torches.
nickdalzell1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 12:16 PM   #7
locojo25
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickdalzell1 View Post
Yeah when the baffle is missing they almost always run very lean. We got a stockpile of extras because the exact symptoms happen and it's usually missing.

That rattle is often a failing driven clutch (one on the rear end). Some folks live with it if it can still make hills. they're kinda expensive and on TXTs the old one tends to seize itself on the shaft requiring some fun with angle grinders and torches.
Yeah the rattle is annoying but it still performs well so most likely it will wait until it really "needs" replacing. As far as the missing baffle do you have a source to pick one up? There is one on Ebay for 20 bucks which if that's what I have to do so be it but a piece of sheet metal with 4 holes seems pricey at 20.00
Old 05-18-2018, 07:58 PM   #8
nickdalzell1
Resident Curmudgeon

We get all our parts from Nivel/Mad Jax

http://www.nivelparts.com
nickdalzell1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO