lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk! > Sled Engine Swaps

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-23-2016, 03:40 AM   #11
BenTheRogue
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Default Re: Yamaha SRV 540 into 1981 Yamaha G1

Quote:
Originally Posted by sho305 View Post
IIRC it locks it, but people have broken them locked. (not with stock power of course)
Well I guess no donuts or burnouts on pavement then
BenTheRogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-23-2016, 07:56 PM   #12
cfherrman
Gone Wild

That would be better then turning tight and fast on pavement
cfherrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 08:54 PM   #13
BenTheRogue
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Progress: I did this about a month ago or so but hadn't had the chance to update: Due to needing MOAR BRAKES, I had a guy chop off the ends of the control arms and weld on the ends from a Kawasaki Bayou 220. I just need to get a set of brake cables, and I have to cut the steering arms off of the original spindles and bolt them to the ATV spindles' steering arms to be able to attach the tie rods. The golf cart is still not lifted and somehow bald 21" tires JUST fit

Mind the mess in the background, a tree branch took out my EZ-UP awning and I just threw it out of the way. Tomorrow I will be doing more work to it and bringing it home to begin the sled engine swap!

And to add to this, my stepdad scored these bad boys for free sitting along the road.
Old 11-19-2016, 10:54 AM   #14
smokindawg
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Cool............ I like where your going. On the cheap using parts you have setting around. This is my kind of build.
smokindawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 12:14 AM   #15
BenTheRogue
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Thanks man! Good news! I was able to retain the original tie rods by adjusting them out a bit and doing a mild extension bracket thingy to the ATV spindles. Unfortunately I won't be able to get pics for about a month due to traveling. But when I do get pics, it'll be during the swingarm removal to mock up the SRV540 engine!
Old 01-04-2017, 10:09 PM   #16
BenTheRogue
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

PROGRESS:

I currently yanked the original engine out (while it was still warm from parking it ) and it took about 15 minutes. I then sat the mounting brace back in place JUST like it was while the engine was attached to it (Seriously, only one mount was still intact) and roughly mocked up the SRV engine in place. It does hit the underside of the hood, but I am hoping the lift will take care of that, plus it's not exactly seated how I want. The rod coming off of the rear diff for the governor/throttle thingy interferes with the carb barely, but if I am eliminating the governor clips then in theory I can just cut that rod off for more room.

Two issues I see though. One is how I am going to mount the starter/generator. Either I figure out some sort of pulley to go behind the SRV clutch like the original clutch has, or I put a pulley on the fan belt side and go through a mess of odd mounting ideas as well as having forward and reverse be ... reversed.

The other thing is how I am going to combine the two wiring harnesses, but I didn't really look deep into it yet so it might not be as bad as I am expecting it to be. The wiring on this cart has been a mess since I got it, so I plan on cleaning it up a bit as I go which should help me along.

Old 03-07-2017, 12:14 AM   #17
BenTheRogue
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Update today! Scored some 5" square tubing to be cut down to make engine mounts as well as the front suspension lift. I also yanked out the swingarm assembly and tore down the rear axle, removing the governor and locking it. Super simple job!

Old 03-08-2017, 02:50 PM   #18
BenTheRogue
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Got the engine oficially mounted today and am now working on how I am going to mount the starter/generator. Thanks to Larboc's thread with his SRV swap, I now know I can run it in both directions. Only issue is, I have to flip the starter/generator upside-down, so hopefully it's just a matter of switching two wires around so it spins "backwards".

Old 01-12-2018, 04:41 PM   #19
mikeasis
Gone Wild
Yamaha

any updates on this?
mikeasis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 02:09 PM   #20
1chrisapple
Getting Wild

Check out the g1 limo polaris 4x4 build i am finishing.looks like u have a good start and will be a cool cart once done
1chrisapple is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk! > Sled Engine Swaps