lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk! > Clone Engine Swaps

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-27-2016, 08:54 PM   #21
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

Default Re: Magnetic Dipstick

The Mk 1 was from magnet house on Ebay, the Mk 2 and 3 were made from a 6" rod from eclipse magnetics on amazon.
raydhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-27-2016, 09:10 PM   #22
jakesnake27
Gone Wild

Very interesting Ray...
jakesnake27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 03:57 AM   #23
Shepard
Crazy Ole Man

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by raydhd View Post
You put the bug in my head about iron particles in the clone. When you think about it the rings,cylinder,cam,valves,lifters,balance shaft,gears for cam and balance shaft along with the crankshaft are all iron components.Most of the parts besides the piston itself and the block and head are steel or iron.
Here's another "Bug" for you to think about. As I read all your threads, you said you have about 125 running hours on your VC460. At 25 hour intervals this would put you at oil change 5 or 6. By this time your engine should be fully broken in. I'm truly concerned about where all the iron particles are coming from. Your oil should be cleaner then the first dipstick trial at 17 hrs, to much metal IMO. If it were me -- I'd have the side case off and seeing what the source of the metal is.
I'm expecting a fair amount of metal on my first oil change to be on the mag plugs. It should be less and less with each oil change unless there is a problem.
Shepard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 07:58 AM   #24
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

Based on the look of the metal itself I am convinced most of it comes from the cam,crank,and balance shaft gear train. The way we use our engines with up and down rpms it would vary the gear lash all over the place.Lastly I didn't start the magnet test until the last bit of my last oil change.There has been very little after nearly 5 hours on this run.Kind of makes me wonder even with my hot dropping oil changes with tilting the cart to get as much as the oil out as possible whether a fair amount of iron stayed in the engine.And again this was with high filling the engine with oil for some of this time.When you read about other golf cart engine failures such as the yamaha or club car it is the balancing device destroying the engine.One other thought. If you have a magnetic drain plug it only pick up particles until it is saturated with iron. After that nothing will be attracted.Just like in science class sticking a magnet into a jar of iron filings.It picks up some and then it is saturated and the rest stay in the jar.
Old 09-28-2016, 03:30 PM   #25
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

Hose clamped 6 magnets to my opie engined lawn tractor's drain cap. We will see what I catch next oil change.
Old 10-13-2016, 08:26 PM   #26
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

Bump for cyrus9
Old 01-04-2017, 10:43 AM   #27
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

Bump
Old 01-21-2017, 11:04 AM   #28
jjastram
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

How hot does the oil get in these motors? I received my magnets today, Neodymium Magnet N42 3 x 1/8 x 5/16" Permanent Magnet Bar, and they had a disclaimer about how temps over 175°F (80°C) will make them lose their magnatism. For higher temps, they said to use Samarium and Cobalt Combination SmCo Magnet. I emailed them to see if they were available in the size I wanted. I got these from Applied Magnets on Amazon.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg copymag.jpg (128.5 KB, 0 views)
jjastram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 12:43 PM   #29
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

I used a M176261/6NR alnico unit from eclipse magnetics on amazon.After quite a few hours still works great. I just looked if they are still there on amazon and they are. It comes up using "eclipse magnetics alnico" and is listed like the 3rd or 4 th on the list.
Old 01-21-2017, 09:53 PM   #30
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

These clones should run 1,000 hours easy since most of the time you are rolling at low rpm or less than 3600, at least I am with my clutching. My clutch is currently set at 4K rpm, it will only hit that at WOT and of course above 30mph. I get going too fast at high rpm so I can't stay on it very long and I rarely road ride at speeds over 25. Fastech has some very strong magnets cheap, rare earth they say, but I don't know if heat affects them. Cant use them on the fridge because I can't get them off. They are steel color.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk! > Clone Engine Swaps