lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-02-2023, 01:47 PM   #421
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Default Re: OBC Bypassing

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
My question was, could I use an Eric if I bypassed the OBC. The reason being that my PD3 was stolen and I could not find a PD locally and shipping was out of the question. I had an Eric with a yellow cord from a 2016 that would not work on my 2012 without bypassing the OBC. The problem has been solved as I finally found a PD3 locally.
My original question was never answered, but I would still like to know for future reference if that Eric charger with a yellow cord from s 2016 would have worked on my 2012 if I had bypassed the OBC.
The reason being that I have access to a 2013 Precedent for a good price that the owner says his battery charger was stolen and I believe it would have been a PD3.
Thanks;
Harry
Yes, the ERIC will work if the OBC is properly bypassed. The ERIC does need to be updated with the correct battery algorithm for the batteries that are in the cart. The original charge algorithm in the ERIC charger is only good for the original batteries that came in the cart from the factory. Excessive water usage and shortened battery life are often the end result if the algorithm is not updated to match the battery brand. Usually pretty easy to do and there are several threads here that detail the process.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-02-2023, 01:51 PM   #422
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Default Re: OBC Bypass ~ Technnical Tips

Quote:
Originally Posted by e368s52 View Post
I have a 2003 CC IQ and I've done the OBC bypass and the cart charges properly with a ERIC charger. I recently installed the XCT controller and before I knew there were settings that could be changed, I used the jumper on the blue and white wire to get it to operate. Since I wanted to keep the interlock function so that the cart would be disabled while charging, I followed some instructions here to add a 10k ohm 1W resistor to the blue/white wires and the grey wire. Unfortunately, the interlock function still doesn't work. Perhaps those instructions were for a stock controller with OBC bypass and not for XCT controller with OBC bypass. Does anyone know how I could add the interlock function back to my cart if I have OBC bypass, ERIC charger, and XCT controller? THANKS!
This SHOULD still work but you may have to check the interlock setting in the XCT. I forget the exact terminology they use in the Toolkit, but look for the interlock setting there. Make sure your Grey wire from the charge receptacle goes to the Blue wire to Pin 5 of the controller. The White wire should go to the 10k resistor and then to the junction of the Grey and Blue wires.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2023, 03:08 PM   #423
Beerman24
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairtax4me View Post
Correct. Lots of people remove it and cut the hole out slightly larger to fit a voltmeter in that spot.
https://www.cartsunlimited.net/led-battery-meters.html

Yup! Exactly what I was planning to do. Just wanted to confirm it was useless. Thanks for the reply!
Beerman24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2023, 12:38 PM   #424
Beerman24
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default OBC Bypassing

Oops. Didn’t mean to post here
Beerman24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2023, 04:29 PM   #425
AnotherTango
Getting Wild
Club Car

I have a 2012 Precedent which uses the Excel wiring the 2013 model uses.

I've been trying to read through this thread to catch up, but I'm having trouble from the start with some terms.

I get that ERIC or E.R.I.C. is a charging system, but I also see the terms Regen1 and Regen2 used and I'm not sure what they refer to. Also, I have looked through the wiring diagrams and have found a good one for a 2014 Precedent, but by then, from what I understand, the OBC was gone. (Although a LOT of that 2014 diagram matches what I see on my cart.) I searched the thread for "2013," hoping to find more info about dealing with this model, but I don't see enough info that makes me feel confident that, if I tried to do something, I wouldn't be messing up my cart.

I've replaced my lead-acid batteries with lithium. I don't use the charging socket anymore and I've had a few times where I got in my cart, flipped it to reverse (so I could back out of the shed) and the LED I used to replace the buzzer doesn't come on. It does within 30 seconds, sometimes after I flip the forward/reverse switch a few times or tap on the accelerator a few times, but now that I see how the OBC works, I'm wondering if it could be due to the OBC. I pulled the original charging socket out of the panel. I haven't removed it or the wiring, it's still in the battery compartment, out of the way, but I'm wondering if, due to the EM field from other wires or some capacitance issue, the OBC might not get a clear negative from the gray wire from the charger and might sometimes react to a false signal.

Since I'm not using the built in charging system anymore and, because of that, don't need the OBC at all, I'd like to completely disconnect it. From what I can see, I don't need it for charging and the only way it still would interact with my cart is the safety on it that keeps the solenoid from engaging if the charger is plugged in. I have no idea what kind of communication is going on between the OBC and the solenoid, but see there are, apparently, two wires between the two items. I don't know whether those wires need to have voltage or be grounded for the solenoid to properly engage.

So that leaves me with these questions about this issue:

1) I know this is a bigger issue, but where can I find a wiring diagram for a 2012/2013 Excel wired Precedent?

2) What is going on between the OBC and solenoid? If the wires between them were cut, what would happen?

3) Have I missed something, or is there, in here, a discussion of completely disconnecting the OBC on the 2012/2013 model?
AnotherTango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2023, 12:58 PM   #426
Kingrexter
Not Yet Wild

I have a 2004 CC DS. Recently switched to lithium batteries. I have watched videos on how to bypass the OBC but mine is different. My OBC wiring harness only has three (3) wires. So I have run the charging receptacle black wire to battery (-). Unplugged the OBC harness. (3 wires). My charger now works, but it stays in? Is there something I am missing? Shouldn’t the new lithium charger know when the batteries are fully charged then turn off?
Kingrexter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2023, 07:30 PM   #427
simicrintz
Gone Wild

Club Car

Start a separate thread in this (Electric CC) section and you should get your answer.

Welcome to the page!
simicrintz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2023, 11:01 PM   #428
AnotherTango
Getting Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by simicrintz View Post
Start a separate thread in this (Electric CC) section and you should get your answer.

Welcome to the page!
Is that for KingRexter or me? My understanding is that any OBC questions should be on this sticky.
AnotherTango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2023, 06:07 PM   #429
simicrintz
Gone Wild

Club Car

Kingrexter (sorry I wasn't clear). He's a new poster and would probably get faster help posting it as a new post in the CC section.
simicrintz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2023, 02:47 PM   #430
dszklarek
Not Yet Wild

Been reading for some time and I am sure the answer is here, I just cant find it. Bypassed my 1996 OBC years ago and tired of hearing it rattle around. I have two wires left going somewher Red to solonoid and brown towards front (I believe warning light). The link for wire diagram wasnt working, can I remove both of these or do I have to do some connecting like the white and blue from regen carts? Thanks for any help
dszklarek is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car