lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-16-2023, 03:33 PM   #1
gofast67
Gone Wild

Default 1997 Yamaha gas over voltage issue

Hello BGW, I have a 1997 yamaha gas that is over charging the battery. I replaced battery,and I have replaced voltage regulator 2 times and also put a new starter/generator on it. At about 30% throttle I am getting 17 plus volts at battery. Can anyone lead me in the right direction here??? Help
gofast67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-16-2023, 03:48 PM   #2
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Default Re: 1997 Yamaha gas over voltage issue

Try this first

https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=188135
CP241 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2023, 04:35 PM   #3
gofast67
Gone Wild

I get 0.137 when I check it from battery negative to black wire at at regulator. Regulator is connected and this new generator is an advanced brand unit. Regulator is aftermarket market,but I have tried oem also with same result. Battery is brand new flooded style.
Old 01-16-2023, 04:59 PM   #4
gofast67
Gone Wild

I did just find a black wire that comes off the negative battery terminal then has a butt connector that was unplugged. Plugged it in and still get high voltage.
Old 01-24-2023, 01:49 PM   #5
pilotdane
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

I was just about to post when I noticed that CP241 linked to my thread from last month.

I did all the checks for opens, shorts, current leakage that CP241 helped me with. In the end I gave up and am just driving it. I really wish I had checked (and wrote it down) the voltage I was getting over previous years. I suspect it's been over charging since it left the factory. But, after having several dealer mechanics tell me that that is sorta normal for Yamaha's I'm moving on but will keep an eye on how long the new battery lasts.
pilotdane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2023, 01:59 PM   #6
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Make sure the black wire is grounded on the vr if you haven’t already done that.
kgsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2023, 08:19 PM   #7
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotdane View Post
I was just about to post when I noticed that CP241 linked to my thread from last month.

I did all the checks for opens, shorts, current leakage that CP241 helped me with. In the end I gave up and am just driving it. I really wish I had checked (and wrote it down) the voltage I was getting over previous years. I suspect it's been over charging since it left the factory. But, after having several dealer mechanics tell me that that is sorta normal for Yamaha's I'm moving on but will keep an eye on how long the new battery lasts.
I’d still consider giving a club car voltage regulator a try and see how it does. My DS never goes above 14-6-14.7. Maybe try an Amazon one, if it doesn’t work send it back, they’ll return pretty much anything
Old 01-27-2023, 02:48 PM   #8
pilotdane
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

I've been thinking of trying that with my cart but have been hesitant to cut off the factory connector. Would be easy enough to do though.
pilotdane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2023, 08:04 PM   #9
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotdane View Post
I've been thinking of trying that with my cart but have been hesitant to cut off the factory connector. Would be easy enough to do though.
If I remember correctly, those connector terminals are a wide flat blade. I’d bet a standard spade terminal would plug right into the stock connector without cutting anything
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha