lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-09-2013, 07:50 PM   #1
budracer1
Not Yet Wild

Default Motor Burned down 05 PDS

OK guys after having my cart parked for most of the winter with no charger, I bought me a new charger and after a night of charging I got on the cart only to have it jerk and grind and not really move. So I assumed my 1 year old batteries were shot, but the grinding noise from rear got my attention. So I jacked it up and with no load it was still doing the same thing. So just to be sure I brought my brothers cart down and hooked his 38.4v pack to my controller and it was still doing the same thing.

Anyways the rearend and gearbox seem fine but the inside of the motor looks to be burned up and there is a ton of what looks like magnet dust inside. I realize that there isnt a good way for me to test since I have no way of supporting the armature but how do I know for sure if thats my problem?

And if that is the problem, anyone know where to buy a good used one?

I have attached a couple picture of the inside of the can, I have raced electric RC cars for years and this certainly looks like a burnt up motor to me.

thanks in advance JB
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2013-04-09_20-45-15_160.jpg (217.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 2013-04-09_20-45-08_277.jpg (174.8 KB, 0 views)
budracer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-09-2013, 08:13 PM   #2
budracer1
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Motor Burned down 05 PDS

I guess I should add that I have alltrax 400 and heavy duty solenoid, lifted on 12" wheels
Old 04-10-2013, 03:10 AM   #3
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

You definitely have some carbon dust from the brushes, but it sounds like you've got a spun hub.

Remove any dust covers from the rear wheels so you can see the castle nuts on the axles. Have people watch both sides.
If either castle nut turns and the wheel doesn't, the hub splines are stripped.

-----------
To test motor:
With all cables disconnected and using an Ohmmeter,
Measure between A1 & A2. Should have continuity.
Measure between F1 & F2. Should have continuity.

Measure between A terminals and F terminal. Should be NO continuity.
Measure between A & S terminals and can. Should be NO continuity.
(You will probably get get some continuity due the the carbon build up, but that will most likely be several hundred Kilohms)

If the motor continuity checks out, it might be a good the to have PQ do their magic on it.

---------------
The wheel size is cosmetic, it is the tire diameter (height) that is significant technically.
Since cart is lifted, they are most likely taller than stock (18"), plus a controller that produces about 33% more torque than stock, both of which point to stripped splines a hub or hubs.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 06:29 AM   #4
budracer1
Not Yet Wild

I took the motor apart and cleaned it up but found this on the armature(pic attached)

Johnnie, I didn't have time to reinstall motor this morning but I did take socket that fits the nut, and with a prybar between the studs I could not get either side to slip, and since it makes this noise with no load on jack stands with wheels and tires removed, I should be able to make them slip if that were the problem... Right?

Continuity checked out fine, and tires are 22"

Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2013-04-09_22-28-11_3.jpg (201.1 KB, 0 views)
Old 04-10-2013, 07:30 AM   #5
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Oops, I missed the part about it making same noise while tires off ground.

I doubt if that motor can be used as an exchange core, but give Plum Quick a call. http://www.plumquick.com/

------------
As for checking if the hub splines are stripped by trying to move the castle nut manually with hub locked into place.

A PDS motor is about 4 HP and the differential gears multiply the torque it generates by about 12 times, so there are a lot of ponies turning the axle and I'm not sure if there are any humans that strong.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 02:53 PM   #6
budracer1
Not Yet Wild

Johnnie thanks for your replies, I called plumquick and the guy I spoke with priced a dcs motor very reasonable but later found out it was already sold, he said that was the only motor he had for a PDS... I have spoke with a few other people today regarding buying a motor and I have been priced anywhere from 300 to 600, so I have some thinking to do, in the mean time if anyone has a used pds or dcs motor laying around that they would like to sell shoot me a PM....high torque would be a plus.

Right now if I cant find one from a member here Im leaning toward cts reman, anyone had any dealings with them?

thanks JB
Old 04-10-2013, 04:29 PM   #7
gornoman
Stay thirsty my friends!

Mixed Breed

budracer1, did PQ say they could NOT rebuild your existing PDS motor?
gornoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 04:34 PM   #8
budracer1
Not Yet Wild

Said that they didn't have any armatures and I think that is what is toast on my motor.

JB
Old 04-10-2013, 04:39 PM   #9
gornoman
Stay thirsty my friends!

Mixed Breed

OK, that makes sense.
gornoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 09:53 PM   #10
TerryH
Let's go racin' boyz!!

E-Z-GO

You should check with D&D. They will have a torque motor for your PDS. I run a D&D speed and torque motor on my PDS. It's been bullet proof and I'm not kind to it.

http://www.ddmotorsystems.com/
TerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO