lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-25-2012, 01:23 PM   #1
djmadmatt
Not Yet Wild

Default EZGO TXT Engine Rebuild

I just got an EZGO TXT ... I was told it's a 2005 but, I'm not quite sure how to tell if that's the actual year. Well, of course after I get the cart home and drive it around a bit, it won't "rev up" and take off after it's run for about 5 minutes. Let it sit for 15 minutes and it will run again. If the RPM's are up, it will run forever but, once you take your foot off the gas, it's over with.

So, I've been reading up online about check your choke and gas flow. I don't think that's the issue. I pulled the boots off both plugs to see if it was dropping a cylinder but, it isn't. I re-set all the valves to .006 while it was cold and that didn't help either.

I'm guessing it must be dropping compression when it's hot. I don't have a compression gauge yet but will try to get one here in the next few days.

So, If my assumptions are right and it needs a rebuild, should i just attempt to do the rings? (It doesn't smoke though) or, should I try to replace the head which seems more likely as the culprit with the loss of power after hot. OR should I just say, "heck with it" and replace the whole engine?

Looking for some input from someone who has owned one of these carts for more than 3 days. Thanks in advance.
djmadmatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-26-2012, 03:34 PM   #2
djmadmatt
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: EZGO TXT Engine Rebuild

Anyone?
Old 09-26-2012, 08:37 PM   #3
djmadmatt
Not Yet Wild

I found the serial number on the frame underneath and have discovered it is a TXT : Gas : TXT Standard : 2004 according to EZGO.
Old 09-26-2012, 09:04 PM   #4
kyerik
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Find a compression gauge and take the readings with the carb butterfly wide open.

If compression in low, then put about a tablespoon of oil in each cylinder and repeat the compression test.- If the reading comes up a lot, then you need rings (the oil helps to seal the bad rings). If compression stays low, then you have bad valves.
kyerik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 09:49 AM   #5
djmadmatt
Not Yet Wild

Thanks! I'll give that a shot and post results as soon as I get a gauge.
Old 09-27-2012, 01:53 PM   #6
djmadmatt
Not Yet Wild

Ok ... Here are the results:

Compression Test Cold: 75psi and 75psi
Compression Test Hot (Wont Rev Up and move) 72psi and 61psi
Compression Test Hot with Oil in Cylinders: 80psi and 80psi

Spark was also strong and consistent when it was hot.

I'm guessing the compression shouldn't be that low. Should I attempt to do a basic rebuild myself, let a shop rebuild it or by a re manufactured engine from somewhere online? I guess it makes sense to do some performance upgrades if it has to come apart anyway. I have $2,000 in this cart as it sits and it seems to be in really nice shape except for the junk motor. lol

Thoughts anyone?
Old 09-27-2012, 04:24 PM   #7
rvkersh
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I would adjust the valves the redo the compression test. You didn't gain much with oil in the cylinders. I do the test when the engine is cold.
rvkersh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 05:19 PM   #8
djmadmatt
Not Yet Wild

I didn't use much oil in the cylinders. I set the valves at .006 when it was cold a couple days ago. Do you think they aren't closing all the way when its hot? Should I do .008?
Old 09-27-2012, 06:11 PM   #9
kyerik
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

75 psi is low for a cold engine with the proper valve lash. If you have an air compressor, you can purchase an adapter that threads into the spark plug hole, set a cylinder to TDC between compression and power stroke and apply 5 psi through that spark plug hole (note- the engine may try to spin a half turn). You will hear air going into the engine. Listen carefully to the muffler and to the air filter and you may be able to determine if an intake or exhaust valve is leaking (you will hear air moving/escaping).

I would guess that you have bad valves in the first cylinder. If you added 3-4 squirts of 10w-40 from a typical oil can, then that should have brought the reading up quite a bit if the rings were bad. The second cylinder had a 20 psi increase with the oil- so that one may need rings.
kyerik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 06:14 PM   #10
RSP
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

6 is plenty, i think the book says 4, did you have the throttle wide open??
RSP is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ezgo, hot, rev, txt, won't
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO