lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-02-2009, 06:50 AM   #1
Goat53
Gone Wild

Default battery short

I just finished rebuilding a 86 244 marathon engine for my brother , someone before me had doubled the cable from the selonid to the + battery post , and I failed to notice it when I re connected the batt . Engine ran great cranked good and had proper speed . The unnoticed unconnected cable finally found a ground and shorted the batt . it held the short for about 2 min before I could get the seat off and see where the smoke was coming from . I corrected the short ( reconnected the cable ) and now it cranks fine runs smoothly but only at about 1/4 speed , this is the first time I have had anything like this happened ,,, any ideas ????
Goat53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-02-2009, 07:08 AM   #2
ruredy
Born Wild

Default Re: battery short

It may have messed up the start/gen or v/r and now it's a load on the system, check the output volts at the battery while it's running.
ruredy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 08:47 AM   #3
hotmomma
Wildly Wicked!

E-Z-GO

I know with our cart we had voltage problems too, changed the voltage regulator and ended up taking the generator/starter apart changed out the points and found a wire inside the motor itself burned in half. After soldering it back together it's charging like a champ. Just something to check.
hotmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 10:35 AM   #4
Goat53
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruredy View Post
It may have messed up the start/gen or v/r and now it's a load on the system, check the output volts at the battery while it's running.
checked batt volts before starting and found 12.6 volts , started engine and voltage dropped to 11.5 , and held that even after engine shutoff , no movement of voltage when engine was reved up a bit .
Old 06-05-2009, 05:49 AM   #5
ruredy
Born Wild

well it's not charging but i'm not sure that can explain the the slower speed.
Old 06-05-2009, 06:23 AM   #6
Goat53
Gone Wild

while I was working with it checking voltage . it sounded like the carb just wasn't working right maby it picked up some trash that just happened at the same time as the short .
Old 06-05-2009, 06:33 AM   #7
ruredy
Born Wild

If it backfired from the short it may have damaged the seals, just thinking outloud......
Old 06-05-2009, 04:08 PM   #8
Goat53
Gone Wild

would'nt that affect cranking and fuel pump , because it cranks real quickly and will sit there and run all day just not fast.
Old 06-07-2009, 10:51 AM   #9
Goat53
Gone Wild

Update cart running good now , dirty carb and muffler stopped up at the same time and right when the short happened , all this got me to chasing ghosts , went back to the basics and all worked out .
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO