lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-11-2020, 11:39 PM   #1
smiley35
Not Yet Wild

Default 96 Gas Ezgo - rebuild engine?

I took my 96 Ezgo Gas cart to the shop because it was struggling going up hills. They said the compression is low needs to be rebuilt. They want $1500. This seems high to me. I'm pretty handy but don't know much about engines. How hard is it to rebuild this engine. Or is there a replacement engine that anyone would suggest?
smiley35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-11-2020, 11:49 PM   #2
trig123
Vintage tech
E-Z-GO

Default Re: 96 Gas Ezgo - rebuild engine?

$ 1500 is way too much for this engine.
Motors and More in Georgia do a great job at rebuilding these engines. I have bought a few and was well pleased.
Myself I rebuild them but I normally recommend people that don't know how and want a 1 year warranty to go with these people. These engines are easy to remove and replace.
trig123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 11:49 PM   #3
jclark138
Runs with scissors-

Yamaha

Sounds high to me,too. Might be a good engine to try your hand at rebuilding -
lots of help here
jclark138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 07:54 AM   #4
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Before doing anything I'd "rent" a compression tester from an auto parts store. You pay $50 or whatever to rent it but get your deposit back when you return it so it's free. Make sure you hold the throttle at the carb wide open when cranking the engine. If its closed it will read lower than it really is.

Check the compression yourself first. If it is indeed low, then try adjusting the valves, there are plenty of tutorials out there to show you how. Clearance should be .004 for all 4 of them on a cold engine. I cant tell you how many projects I've brought home, with low or no compression that simply just need a valve adjustment and magically compression is perfect. 165+ is pretty much perfect for this motor. 150+ is good. 130+ is marginal, itll run fine but shes definitely tired. Anything below 130 it will run, but I'd say it's time to pull it and rebuild.

That said, when doing the valve adjustment pay particular attention to the 2 valves in the middle. If you have significantly more threads showing on the 2 middle ones vs. The 2 outside ones, then they will eventually need replacing. You can upload a couple pictures here of what the valve lash adjusters look like if you're not sure.

It very well may need to be rebuilt. But theres a lot of things that can cause a cart to struggle up a hill (clutches, belt) or cause low compression that dont necessarily require the engine to be rebuilt.
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 01:15 PM   #5
Blind Old Coot
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

I'm withCP241 on this. Did my first rebuild one ever and so glad I did. Yes, hit a couple of bumps but the manual is the best I've seen . All step by step eith pictures.

I did buy a torque wrench,
Assembly lube,
A rebuild kit with pistons,
Degreasing stuff,
Metric sockets,
Bags,tape, label materials,
Hone tool,
Piston ring compressor,
Oil gauge to check pressure,

Everyone here has credit with helping me with info.

All I can say is look at the manual and see for yourself. So, people here can flip the whole thing over in a day and it took me a month...I am so glad I got to try this.
Blind Old Coot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 02:58 PM   #6
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Old Coot View Post

All I can say is look at the manual and see for yourself. So, people here can flip the whole thing over in a day and it took me a month...I am so glad I got to try this.
Your next one will go much easier and quicker
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 03:37 PM   #7
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

The other really nice part is that you know EXACTLY what parts are in it and what was done. Nothing like doing your own engine.
raydhd is online now   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO