lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-11-2020, 01:18 AM   #1
Hazmat1234
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default 1989 EZGO, no power midrange

Just acquired a 1989 GX444 with the 2pg motor. The motor starts and runs but seems to be bogging down and not getting to full rpm. What I have done.
The drive belt is off so I know it's not the clutch holding it back. The carburetor, fuel pump and spark plug has been replaced. (Had the same symptoms with the old parts prior to replacing) The fuel tank was drained and new fuel. Muffler taken off and "cooked" clean. With the muffler off, it doesn't bog as bad or not at all. After burning the muffler the problem is still there, but not as bad prior to burning.If I either move the choke on and off really quick or restrict a little air flow it will get past the bog and go full throttle. Once it gets past the bog it will stay at medium to full throttle. Once the motor gets to low rpm or stop, the problem is there trying to go full throttle again? I'm lost on this one?
Hazmat1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-11-2020, 08:14 AM   #2
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 1989 EZGO, no power midrange

Do a compression check. You want 120 psi
cart around is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 11:00 PM   #3
Hazmat1234
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Ok, sorry for the delay. Work got into the way..:)

Checked compression and it's at 120psi.

Put the old carb and spark plug in with the same results as the new ones installed. The motor will not gain enough rpm to have the drive clutch engage.(drive/driven belt is off). Again, after several minutes of bogging down rpm, it will all of a sudden act like it's clearing up and then will have full throttle/max rpm.
Old 01-14-2020, 11:23 PM   #4
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

Are you sure it's actually running? Is the exhaust getting warm?
Old 01-14-2020, 11:47 PM   #5
mark.miklaucic
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

What mixture are you running at? Sounds like a symptom I had when breaking in the new motor. Could be oil to gas ration 1 ounce to 1 gallon or wrong plug / fouled plug.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
mark.miklaucic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 12:50 AM   #6
Hazmat1234
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Cart around: Yes, running. (from first posting) "If I either move the choke on and off really quick or restrict a little air flow it will get past the bog and go full throttle. Once it gets past the bog it will stay at medium to full throttle. Once the motor gets to low rpm or stop, the problem is there trying to go full throttle again?"

Mark.mikaucic: Because I just got the cart I haven't switched over to premixed fuel yet. Still has the oil injection pump (verified operational). Plus the motor will eventually get to full throttle/full rpm. As stated earlier it has a new plug.(same issue with old plug)
Old 01-15-2020, 05:36 AM   #7
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

Does it run better in reverse?
Old 01-15-2020, 08:05 AM   #8
Hazmat1234
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

No, same issue.
Old 01-15-2020, 09:07 AM   #9
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

I'm dancing around crank seals, but don't want to say it yet.

Pull the fuel line from the carb, and crank it over. You should get strong healthy spurts of fuel. I'm sure that I don't need to say put the fuel line into a container.
Old 01-15-2020, 02:00 PM   #10
Hazmat1234
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Cart around: thanks, I was leaning in the same direction, but wasn't sure. I actually checked the fuel flow last night. I don't get a strong spurt of fuel, more like a dribble. ( New fuel pump ) Was leaning toward crankcase pressure, but yet seems to be getting enough fuel to fill the carb bowl to keep running at fuel throttle. The thought came to me as low crankcase pressure, but sprayed starting fluid around both crank seals and crankcase/head gaskets with no changes in rpm.

I found a good article last night on crankcase pressure and thought about going that direction, but wanted more confirmation and direction. Here's the link. https://www.klemmvintage.com/airleaks.htm
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO