lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-07-2018, 12:48 PM   #1
Udloze
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default 88 marathon engine rebuild or replace

Hi guys so my 88 ezgo 2pg lifted cart died over summer just getting to it now.
2pg engine has 20 psi compression and the drive clutch sent parts through the tin cover awhile back, before engine blew up. That's the history of the cart otherwise ran awesome plenty of power untill engine let go.
What iam needing advice on are;
1:if I had a bad Reed could this result in such low compression #s.
2: iam I best buying a complete used engine from flea Bay for the clutch and engine and rebuild it vs rebuild mine and buy clutch. Deed
3: I have owned cart for long time and would be OK putting money into it (1k), as long as it makes sense vs a newer used cart for (4k)
4: what's your take on the oil injection, when new engine goes in should I abandoned( delete ) it.

Any advise before I spend a $ on this cart is greatly appreciated thanks for sharing with me and what you have done for yours. Albert
Udloze is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-07-2018, 01:18 PM   #2
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 88 marathon engine rebuild or replace

First, Reeds don't affect compression so You should be good there, rarely do the reeds go bad on the 2pg's. Second, a new top end kit for your cart with a set of new crank seals will run You under $200 or so, and a new drive clutch around $200 - best to replace the belt too while You're at it - which puts you at under $500, DEFINITELY worth investing into a 1988 as long as the frame isn't rotted out, etc.

As to the injection, the answer is a resounding H*LL YES GET RID OF IT. a 30+ year old oiler isn't a "might fail" it's a "WILL fail soon" and when it does, Your new rebuilt engine becomes an expensive "do-over". Pull the pump and fittings, get a fine-thread M6 short bolt and plug the hole on the intake where the oil line went, and start mixing your gas at 128:1, problem solved. (although for the first tank after a fresh top end it would be better to run about double the oil, 60:1 or so).

The 1988 was unique in that it had a larger carb (BV24) and a much less-restrictive exhaust than either the earlier or later 244cc 2-strokes, and puts out about 2hp more plus revs a lot better and has a much nicer powerband. Again, as long as the body and frame are good, You rebuild that engine and You can expect another 30 years out of it.
BrewCityMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 03:26 PM   #3
Udloze
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

thanks brew city, yes cart is very good condition not rusted out, excellent paint and upholstery,as well as new tires, belt and maintenance items. overall good cond.
Should i consider a complete rebuild(crank, bearings,crank seals, exc.) vs a top end kit?.
The top end kit replacement the engine stays in the cart or has to come out?
Old 02-07-2018, 03:29 PM   #4
Skoal82
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

The engine can be removed in less than 25 min. I would pull it just for ease of work. Also you should replace the crank seals when it is out. Loctite in the new seals or stake them in
Skoal82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 04:02 PM   #5
Udloze
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

ok this all sounds good Skoal, Thats direction iam heading pull engine and disassembl & inspection and if lower end is within spec leave it alone. ( will try and locate manual here for specs on end play) unless someone has that available.
PLANS: change the crank seals and trough a new top end kit at it. who sells better quality complete kits any recommendations, preferences, Thanks Again All
Old 02-07-2018, 04:40 PM   #6
Skoal82
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I would check with the site sponsors, I bought one off flea bay once and the fit was to tight and scored the piston and cylinder. Didn't realize it till to late.
Skoal82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 05:44 PM   #7
Udloze
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Ok got the engine out, it broke one of the three head / mounting bolts. It damaged the boss on the head. And blew out the gasket. The piston and bore look very good with very very faint vertical marks.
At this time I have no play in the crank so going to leave that alone. Questioning to change out the crank seals with out disassemble the case ? & put a new head or recommending machine the boss. Reuse head.
At this time going to ditch the oil injection and wash all the parts and clean it up from the mess it made.
Old 02-08-2018, 06:49 PM   #8
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

Seals are changed from the outside. You remove the clutch, and flywheel to access them.
cart around is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 03:58 PM   #9
van the man
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

top end kit will come with piston, rings, cylinder and head. and gaskets. but not crank seals. the hardest part of all that are the crank seals. lock tite them in like skoal said. you won't want to do them again.
van the man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 10:49 AM   #10
Udloze
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

update: Thanks to all the guys here for help and guidance in the process. wanted to let you all know cart is up and running great. i took the time to clean up and service some things. in doing so i found a crack the bottom of the fuel tank. only a matter of time before it starts leaking so have that to contend with but otherwise tip top. Another success story thanks again all. Albert
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO