lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-06-2019, 08:19 PM   #1
DuplicatorMatt
Not Yet Wild

Default Any cons to turning your cart up?

Hello all. I have a 2015 Ezgo rxv 48v. Currently it tops out at 16-17 mph I have a guy that can turn it up and unlock freedom mode. My question is are there any cons when doing this or is it a pretty safe thing to do? Thanks in advance.
DuplicatorMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-06-2019, 08:27 PM   #2
jkredman
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Any cons to turning your cart up?

Like all vehicles, a bad or inattentive driver can make a safe vehicle dangerous.

Freedom mode will get you to roughly 20 MPH with stock tires. Oversized tires will make the effective speed a little faster, but that will strain / warm up the controller probably shortening its life.

To go faster than this requires special programming that only a few people have the tooling to accomplish.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jkredman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 08:42 PM   #3
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuplicatorMatt View Post
Hello all. I have a 2015 Ezgo rxv 48v. Currently it tops out at 16-17 mph I have a guy that can turn it up and unlock freedom mode. My question is are there any cons when doing this or is it a pretty safe thing to do? Thanks in advance.
I've turned up (reprogrammed) many dozens of RXVs. Not had too many that wanting one slowed back down. Top speed of the 2015 RXV is 26 to 27 MPH with stock tires. Freedom mode is just a point and click.
BobBoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 08:47 PM   #4
DuplicatorMatt
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobBoyce View Post
I've turned up (reprogrammed) many dozens of RXVs. Not had too many that wanting one slowed back down. Top speed of the 2015 RXV is 26 to 27 MPH with stock tires. Freedom mode is just a point and click.
So there is nothing that I need to worry about such as prematurely wearing anything out?
Old 08-06-2019, 08:49 PM   #5
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

No, not really.
Old 08-06-2019, 08:55 PM   #6
DuplicatorMatt
Not Yet Wild

My neighbor had a guy come over and turn his up and it is noticeably faster. Said the guy tapped a usb looking device on something and it beeped a few times. Does this sound right? He also had to order a cable to hook a programmer I'm guessing to it to get more speed. He is coming back next week and I'm just trying to make sure I dont do something I will regret.
Old 08-06-2019, 09:40 PM   #7
rockfordpi
Gone Wild

Quote:
My neighbor had a guy come over and turn his up and it is noticeably faster. Said the guy tapped a usb looking device on something and it beeped a few times. Does this sound right? He also had to order a cable to hook a programmer I'm guessing to it to get more speed. He is coming back next week and I'm just trying to make sure I dont do something I will regret.
Dealers can unlock freedom mode with a simple device sort of like an electronic key that they plug in and the cart beeps and it is unlocked, but I think that key only gets you to either 15 or 17.5 mph.

The other way to do it is with a programmer (hand held or computer based) that plugs into the controller and allows you to change parameters to get even more speed from your RXV.

The second way is the way Bob recommended and explained to me.
rockfordpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 09:50 PM   #8
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Dongle will enable freedom mode and then a handheld will get a stock cart to 19.5. With a laptop and a custom cable you can get that same cart to 26+ and pull like a beast. Heavy duty solenoid and heavy main battery cables needed at this point to be safe.
kgsc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 12:12 AM   #9
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

Quote:
That sounds like he used a passkey dongle. E-Z-GO charges a fee based upon how many times the passkey can be used. So whomever uses that passkey must charge a fee to pay for that passkey cost, typically $100 - $150 per use for most dealers. Like I mentioned before, toggling Freedom mode on or off is just a click of a mouse for me. Besides Freedom mode, there are other performance aspects that can be reprogrammed. Faster accel, better regen braking, higher top speed, ect.

Bob
Old 08-07-2019, 07:17 AM   #10
Toobitz
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobBoyce View Post
That sounds like he used a passkey dongle. E-Z-GO charges a fee based upon how many times the passkey can be used. So whomever uses that passkey must charge a fee to pay for that passkey cost, typically $100 - $150 per use for most dealers. Like I mentioned before, toggling Freedom mode on or off is just a click of a mouse for me. Besides Freedom mode, there are other performance aspects that can be reprogrammed. Faster accel, better regen braking, higher top speed, ect.

Bob

Bob,

Your DM is full. Let me know when you can get back to Atlanta please!!!

Steve

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Toobitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO