lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Lifted Golf Carts
Lifted Golf Carts Off-Road Golf Carts.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-18-2019, 12:08 PM   #1
Kerusm
Getting Wild

Default Help w/ Jakes long travel Yamaha Drive

Installed Jakes long travel this weekend. They sent me the wrong hardware and the wrong tie rod ends. Was able to get that corrected but I cannot mount top shock mount to the lower hole. I barely got it in the top hole. I thought maybe I had something wrong but have double checked everything and it’s correct. Cart looks a little lower in front with the shock in the top position. It occurred to me that they could have sent me the wrong shocks. I know the bottom bushings/spacers are different from instructions and video (they are still tie wrapped to bottom of shocks in picture). Anyone have experience with this, thoughts, suggestions? Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kerusm is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-18-2019, 09:21 PM   #2
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Default Re: Help w/ Jakes long travel Yamaha Drive

Are those shocks upside down?

You should have several mounting holes correct? Just loosen the preload on the shocks all the way and compress them by hand to get the top mount in one of the lower holes. Sometimes you might have to have a buddy help you, it can be tight. I always wrap a towel around my big pry bar and work them in, it usually works. But if you have a friend help one can compress the other can work the shock into place. You also might have to disconnect the tie rods so the a arms will drop all the way down. I have also taken the lower spindle bolt loose and dropped the lower a arm down for even more clearance. It's tricky that way though.
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 11:26 AM   #3
Kerusm
Getting Wild

Thank you for the response and assistance. The shock is mounted correctly by instructions but not sure they are correct for this cart. The springs are really close to A arms if not touching slightly. Flipping them might help with that. I would need to compress a little over 2 inches to get in the lower hole. Only two hole choices, upper and lower. All instructions and videos show it mounted in lower hole for 6” lift. I’m afraid if I compress to fit in lower hole it’s going to limit travel during use and put excessive pressure on heim joints and tie rod end at full extension. Not sure if I’m correct about that but seems so.

Old 07-20-2019, 07:41 AM   #4
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

You do have some adjustment left on the preload. Try cranking it all the way up and see how much more lift you gain.

You could also try the opposite. Crank the preload all the way down and mount it in the lower hole.

If you have any binding with the heim joints you can get spacers that will eliminate that. If you change the height of the rod end, make sure you change it equally on the pitman arm. The best setup will have the tie rods parallel to the a arms.

If you're worried about binding on the heims and rod ends, put the cart up on jack stands, remove the wheels and shocks, and cycle the front suspension fully and note the angle at which the binding occurs. You can add your misalignment spacers and recheck. The spacers are not really that expensive, might give you more travel and less binding.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg heim spacers.jpg (25.9 KB, 0 views)
Old 07-20-2019, 08:16 AM   #5
Kerusm
Getting Wild

Thanks. Off today so will have time to fool with it again. Yes. I can gain the height needed by cranking shocks down but lose ride quality and that was one of the main reasons of getting the LT since these Yamy’s have such rough ride. I appreciate the help and I might just drill me two new mounting holes for the top mount. Jakes got this kit all screwed up. Smh!!

Old 07-20-2019, 08:19 AM   #6
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

If you want something done right, you have to do it yourself lol Mine rode so crappy and Jakes doesn't make a kit for my G1, so....

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/lifte...sion-done.html
Attached Images
File Type: jpg atv suspension G1 on table.jpg (237.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg atv suspension G1.jpg (171.4 KB, 0 views)
Old 07-20-2019, 10:03 AM   #7
Kerusm
Getting Wild

I’m liking that. Awesome job and probably saved some $$$ going that route and couldn’t have bought a better system. I’m down in south MS so atv frames, suspensions, etc. are everywhere. I’m thinking I should have done the same.

Old 07-20-2019, 04:01 PM   #8
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerusm View Post
I’m liking that. Awesome job and probably saved some $$$ going that route and couldn’t have bought a better system. I’m down in south MS so atv frames, suspensions, etc. are everywhere. I’m thinking I should have done the same.

No I think you did the right thing. Jakes is a great handling system. I would have bought one if they made one for the G1.

With that said, nothing is perfect out of the box. With some tweaking we can help you get it setup right. Any custom work is going to be more difficult that it should be, its the law, it just works that way lol . So lets tweak those shocks. Maybe turn them end over end. Drill those holes like you said. You'll get it set up right.
Old 07-20-2019, 04:52 PM   #9
Kerusm
Getting Wild

Got it. Frame is level front to back and I was able to crank down some on the springs slightly keeping it from floating to bad but still have a great ride compared to the original lift. Handling is so much better so I’ll have to agree that Jakes LT is a good lift with a little tweaking..lol. Thanks again for the help.

Old 02-06-2020, 09:56 AM   #10
rosels
Not Yet Wild

What did you end up doing? Just installed the same lift. When driving on the road it’s super swirly marking turns and going over uneven area (like your going to lose control). Can you post pics?
rosels is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Lifted Golf Carts