lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-13-2019, 06:44 PM   #1
mohms
Not Yet Wild

Default Precedent All Out Upgrade to Street Legal

It might not be "all out" for some, but it is for me :) I'm going to document the build here in this thread. It may take a month, it may take several.

This is what I'm starting with. It's a 2008.5 model. I put the lift, wheels/tires, and rear seat on a couple years ago. I just picked up the Champroy Rchamp Cadillac looking body kit and a boat load of accessories from dash to radio to steering wheel to led lights etc. etc. etc.

I am going to try to emulate the beautiful wiring job Aauman88 did in this thread, but I highly doubt it will be that pretty!

mohms is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-13-2019, 06:48 PM   #2
mohms
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Precedent All Out Upgrade to Street Legal

First question to the community:
The body kit came with a voltage reducer that is plug-and-play for the kit 12v accessories (headlights, turn signals, tail lights). I purchased a Reliance 30a reducer for all of my additional accessories. That leaves me with two options:
1. Find space to install both reducers
2. Eliminate the body kit reducer, cut into the plug and play wire harness, and wire everything from the Reliance reducer.

What would you do?
Old 05-13-2019, 07:49 PM   #3
Htownblue
Gone Wild

Club Car

I myself prefer a single 20 to 30 amp reducer with output going to a fused buss bar where all accessories are connected/powered via the buss bar.
I would not run two voltage reducers. Redundant and not needed in almost all cases.
Htownblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 08:22 PM   #4
bwc_oh33
Getting Wild

Club Car

Got room for an auxiliary 12V battery? Run that to a fuse block and be good to go. Ditch the reducer..?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
bwc_oh33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 10:05 PM   #5
mohms
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Htownblue View Post
I myself prefer a single 20 to 30 amp reducer with output going to a fused buss bar where all accessories are connected/powered via the buss bar.
I would not run two voltage reducers. Redundant and not needed in almost all cases.

That is what I did on my previous DS build. The only reason I considered dual reducers is because the body kit comes with one and it is plug and play. I suppose I want my lights to run off a relay anyway. Looks like I'm splicing into the harness!
Old 05-13-2019, 10:08 PM   #6
mohms
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwc_oh33 View Post
Got room for an auxiliary 12V battery? Run that to a fuse block and be good to go. Ditch the reducer..?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I gave this some serious thought before deciding on a reducer. The cart will live at the campground and will probably be a mobile boom box for the better part of weekends. I figured I'd rather draw from the pack than a single 12v so I only have one charger to worry about. I hope I made the right decision!
Old 05-13-2019, 10:21 PM   #7
mohms
Not Yet Wild

I got about an hour behind the wrenches with help from my 3.5 year old daughter before mamma need help with the 3 week old son! Until tomorrow.

Old 05-14-2019, 06:46 AM   #8
jethaulin
never finished

Club Car

looks like a great little helper there
jethaulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 07:04 AM   #9
BBBHC
Gone Wild

Club Car

Looks like a good build. I'll follow along.
BBBHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 07:24 AM   #10
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohms View Post
The cart will live at the campground and will probably be a mobile boom box for the better part of weekends.
Reading this, If it were me, I would opt for a 12V marine "house battery" so you're not drawing on your main pack reserve while cranking the tunes. It's not hard to get a small 12V charger and bring it along. I have a little optima 12V 4A charger that works very well, and doesn't take up a lot of room.

This is why boats have a house battery, so when you're in the party cove doing what you do, your main batteries still have enough juice to get you back home :)

But that's just my opinion
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car