lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts > Melex

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-24-2008, 06:13 AM   #1
gstoneberg
Gone Wild

Default Melex 212 Refurb

A few weeks ago I purchased 2 Melex golf carts, a 112 and a 212. I have begun working on the 212 as I'd like to use it to hunt out of. I'd like to make it a little nicer, new sheet metal, slightly larger tires and a bed on the back. The sheet metal is completely shot. I've removed everything from the rear of the cart. However, the front appears to be welded to the frame so it is a little harder to remove. Here are pictures:

Before I started work, when it was still a junk repository in the shop:

Cart rear without sheet metal:

Still lots of work to do. The metal around the battery boxes is a total loss. At first I tried to unscrew the screws. Now I go right to the grinder. I've never done anything like this before. Its a lot more fun than I expected.

George
gstoneberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-24-2008, 06:47 AM   #2
EZ-GOnewild
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Melex 212 Refurb

You have quite the project on your hands there George.

It's going to be a lot of fun for you and your tools!

Keep us posted with all of the progress you make.
EZ-GOnewild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 06:50 AM   #3
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

WoW! If that is the 212 I would hate to see the 112 Typical for the battery boxes to get corroded / rusted away but the rest?....I had a 112 we lifted and put some tractor lugs on......

112 Melex
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 01:44 PM   #4
dans8555
Not Yet Wild

Hi George, I just bought a 212 about 2 months ago also and since reading all these post on BGW I got the same ideas to beef it up. A winter project. Add a leaf to each spring, new shocks, try to put some on the front, bigger/aggressive tires, add a rear seat. Same problem with the battery tray, I'll need to put some new sheet metal down. Just need to figure out how to start disconnecting the wires without getting zapped. I'll be looking for your progress pics, I probably will not have any until spring. Good luck. DAN
dans8555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 05:28 PM   #5
gstoneberg
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
WoW! If that is the 212 I would hate to see the 112 Typical for the battery boxes to get corroded / rusted away but the rest?....I had a 112 we lifted and put some tractor lugs on......
Actually the 112 is in much better shape:

There is a little metal cancer in the battery area, but much better than in the 212:

Who'd a thunk? I toyed with cutting the front off the 212 and welding it to the same place in the 112 but if I refurb the 212 I can clean up the 112 and drive around the development in it. I really like having identical carts, I can take stuff off and toss it in a pile as the other cart is there to look at when I get around to putting it back together.

I might want info on how you did that lift. I think I remember reading a post about it awhile back.

George
Old 09-24-2008, 05:58 PM   #6
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

I cut the front end off and welded it back on with help of Crash here. Later model battery boxes eliminated the sheetmetal bottom. Something to think about for your carts......let me know if I can help & good luck!
Old 09-24-2008, 06:14 PM   #7
gstoneberg
Gone Wild

Dan, yea I had no idea what could be done to a golf cart until I began to read here. Now I'm thinking about a motor controller and wondering if the old motor could handle 72V. Gotta love it. I'm not a fast worker so you may end up beating me done. I'll look for your pictures too.

O, the batteries in a golf cart are not grounded to the frame so unless there's a short somewhere you only have to worry about touching both ends of the string or some portion of it. The guys in the electric car club I belong to work with truly scary voltages in their cars. Same rules though.

George
Old 09-24-2008, 07:18 PM   #8
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

My old 212 ran really well on 48 volts. Here it is pictured the 2 extra batteries in the bagwell......

melex in center
Attached Images
File Type: jpg merged photos.jpg03.jpg (49.4 KB, 440 views)
Old 09-27-2008, 04:51 PM   #9
gstoneberg
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
...let me know if I can help & good luck!
OK, I need a little help. I'm having trouble with something that should be easy. There is about a half inch bolt that serves as the fulcrum to the brake pedal and holds that assembly together under the cart. After much effort I was able to get the nut off the thing. I cannot get the bolt out, even though it turns in the hole. Is there something else holding it in or is it just rusted to the spacers on either side of the brake pedal? I have removed the brake cable (which broke when we unloaded the cart) so there is no tension on that point any more. I screwed the nut most of the way back on and have beat on it as much as I dare. I'm about to cut the head off the thing, but thought I'd ask first. Once I get that pedal out I can pull the rubber mat out (which I'd like to save) and start removing the metal off the floor board which is shot.

I rigged my electric winch to the ceiling of the shop and pulled the cart nearly vertical to work on the brake pedal. Pretty soon my wife pointed out that something was leaking. Turns out there's gear oil in the steering box that leaks down to the steering wheel and drips out there if you get the steering wheel lower than the box. Duh.

Thanks, George
Old 09-27-2008, 05:57 PM   #10
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

NOt familiar with that bolt but it sounds like it is time to cut it. It could be shouldered either by design or from wear. I thought I was the only one here with the ole electric winch in the garage ceiling LOL.....Lay it on its side?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts > Melex