lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-30-2012, 06:38 PM   #1
hotrodharley
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Default installing a "jake" power pack clutch spring

i got a new "JAKES"clutch power kit[spring and splined spacer..in instructions it says to machine face of inner sheave down flush with seal..this spring kit says fits all gas yamaha carts...do i need to to do machineing on inner sheeve on a G1?
if so how do i do it..i don't have a lay or mill for me to use..is there way to DIY at home?
hotrodharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-30-2012, 10:01 PM   #2
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Default Re: installing a "jake" power pack clutch spring

Machined sheave gets you a low first gear to take off on. It makes more pulling power and it will rev up at a lower speed like 3mph instead of 5...etc. It pushes the belt higher effectively making the diameter larger. If you want low end power it is something you want to do. About any machine shop could do it for you easily, not sure how you could yourself and keep it straight/level. You could cheat and buy the HD belt from CPP I just got one and it sits higher than a stock belt. Its the kevlar cogged one. I don't know how it works yet but it does sit higher in the clutch, the engine is out of my cart at the moment. None of this matters above around 5mph, it is for steep hills and towing/etc. (cutting the sheave)
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 08:40 AM   #3
TheNewGuy
Admin/Moderator

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrodharley View Post
i got a new "JAKES"clutch power kit[spring and splined spacer..in instructions it says to machine face of inner sheave down flush with seal..this spring kit says fits all gas yamaha carts...do i need to to do machineing on inner sheeve on a G1?
if so how do i do it..i don't have a lay or mill for me to use..is there way to DIY at home?
You can install the power kit without machining.

TheNewGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 01:59 AM   #4
hotrodharley
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNewGuy View Post
You can install the power kit without machining.
will the spring still give me more pulling power without the maching then?i'm going to be using cart to tow my fuel altered back up return road to pit area[drag strip]just need it to tow good and not slame forward like it does now..now got to have at very high[almost floored]then al sudden it launches forward[like have a clutch car and you rev it up and pop the clutch]also;;my ramp shoes look bad..i got a set when i ordered spring/drive belt and new carb but they only sent me 2;;my cart has 3..how importment is the ramp shoes?what do they do?should i get another new one or just put the 2 i have on and be good to go?
Old 08-01-2012, 05:04 AM   #5
TheNewGuy
Admin/Moderator

Yamaha

Yes, the spring alone will improve torque (low end power). This spring should only be used on a lifted cart with larger than stock tires.

The G1 should have 6 ramp shoes, 3 for forward and 3 for reverse. They should all be replaced. Are you sure it's a G1 ?

Launching forward sounds like your drive clutch (on the engine) is not working properly.

TheNewGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 12:57 AM   #6
hotrodharley
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

ok;;got the torq. spring and 6 new ramp shoes install...cart speed is slower now when i take off for a few feet then it speeds up some..before it had a faster takeoff speed then it slowed down.....is this right???also just has to almost floor cart and even doing that it takes long time for cart to move and when it does it is like driving a old stick shift truck and you rev it up and pop the clutch out very fast;;gives you a whip lash...what is wrong now???don't know carts at all..never even sit in one till i got this one..my first G1....
Old 08-06-2012, 06:20 AM   #7
bigstik40
Gone Wild

Yamaha

It sounds like maybe your clutches are not shifting back to "low" gear. Take a look at your clutches and see where they settle out while stopped. The drive belt should be at the very bottom of the primary (engine) clutch, and at the top of the secondary (differential) clutch. This is "low" gear and where you get the most torque. If clutches arent shifting back to this starting point it is like starting out in 2nd or 3rd gear. Hope this helps - RAY
bigstik40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 11:13 AM   #8
hotrodharley
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigstik40 View Post
It sounds like maybe your clutches are not shifting back to "low" gear. Take a look at your clutches and see where they settle out while stopped. The drive belt should be at the very bottom of the primary (engine) clutch, and at the top of the secondary (differential) clutch. This is "low" gear and where you get the most torque. If clutches arent shifting back to this starting point it is like starting out in 2nd or 3rd gear. Hope this helps - RAY
Drove cart and shut down and checked belt location..where you said it should be at..now what..??can't afford to buy a new drive clutch[one on engine]if not sure it is what's wrong..if it is it then i will get new BUT if it is bad drive clutch is there a rebuild kit for it to fix it instead of spending $270.00 for complete clutch....
Old 08-06-2012, 02:44 PM   #9
bigstik40
Gone Wild

Yamaha

I'm not real familiar with the G1 clutch, as mine is a G-16 and different. It sounds like yours may be sticky and hanging up, then kicking in at a high RPM. I would check into what maintenance you should be doing to the primary clutch such as cleaning and greasing (they need to work smoothly !). I do know that only a minimal amount of greasing should be done, but not sure if through a grease fitting (like on mine). Need a little help here, Guys, on G1 clutch maintenance !! You should be able to find something in the stickies, also. If maintenance doesn't help, I do know you can buy some of the wear parts for your clutch, so you may be able to go that route to save some money. Hopefully someone will be along to help further with maintenance and checking your clutch. - RAY
bigstik40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 11:09 PM   #10
hotrodharley
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

come on;;can't believe no one can help me out on my cart...i can't afford to just buy parts till i get lucky and replace correct part..can't someone please point me in right direction..
now i noticed that batt barely cranks engine over and can feel cart trying to moved forward when cranking and also before i was able to push cart around out of my way but after install the power spring[on driven clutch]and new belt now i'm not able to push cart and has the slow cranking [before spring install it crank over very fast]
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha