lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-06-2012, 12:45 PM   #1
jplummer
Not Yet Wild

Default Charging issue 2000 club car

After resetting obc charger will start for 20 seconds than stop. It will restart for 5 sec than quit and dashboard light comes on. Batteries read all 8.1 volts. about 48 volts on the entire pack. All cell check out fair with a hydrometer while some check good. This started all at once. I did check the charger by jumping relay and it puts out 64 volts with no load. With the charger on and plugged in there does not seem to read any difference across pack than if the charger is not connected.
jplummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-07-2012, 09:01 AM   #2
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

Default Re: Charging issue 2000 club car

if charger worked while relay was jumped and if it will work on another cart look towards your OBC not uncommon at all for it to go bad.............................
shadowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 07:20 PM   #3
jplummer
Not Yet Wild

I have concluded the obc is bad or there is a problem with the battery pack. What i cannot determine is foe sure which one. in plugging in he charger there was almost no current draw and the charger would shut down. Maybe because there was not enough voltage in one of the cells? What i did was take the cover off of the charger. I removed both the + and the - wires from the battery pack. I than moved one of the wires from the relay and put it on the circuit breaker effectively bypassing the relay. I than ran two jumper wires. I connected the positive lead of the charger to the positive terminal of the battery pack and the negative lead from the charger to the negative post of the battery pack. When i turned charger on the charger showed 16 amp draw and dropped as the batteries charge. It has been running for about 2 hours and the current is down to 11 amp draw. The cell voltage has gone up from 8.1 volts to 8.7 volts. the voltage on the pack has gone from 47 volts to 52 volts. I am not sure how long i dare to keep this connected this way but it will be interesting to see if after i hook everything back up if the obc starts doing it's thing. Perhaps

This brings me to this question ? would it make sense to change to a charger with built in controls rather than replacing the obc? Any thoughts.
jplummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 09:20 PM   #4
sonicj
Gone Wild

Club Car

end voltage is around 61 volts. after the charger shuts, off the pack will settle down to around 52ish.

extremely low voltage will cause the OBC to not charge. normally, you would bypass the OBC to force the charge. since you already did that, you can try again with the OBC. sounds to me like your obc might be on its way out.

i replaced my charger with a on-board. the factory charge system is normally very reliable. occasionally the obc craps out or acts up when batteries are neglected or at end of life.
-sj
sonicj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 10:52 AM   #5
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

your charger will not shut off with the relay bypassed.......replace the OBC and you,ll be good to go and make certain you undo the relay bypass or charger will never shut off..........................................
shadowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car