lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-01-2020, 08:53 AM   #11
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: HELP! Reducing Clicks on HD Solenoid

DaveTM, I have some ideas for Series Carts with Reversing Contactors as well

I don't like the prevailing implementation method of having the Reverse Contactor turn ON/OFF with the pedal switch.

I understand the reason it is recommended:
If the Reverse Contactor is powered by the key switch and You forget the Key Switch ON, the high power reversing Contactor coil can overheat and get damaged.

Unfortunately having the Reverse Contactor turn ON/OFF with the pedal will cause more stress and perhaps shorter life for the contacts.

The reason is that when You lift your foot off the pedal, the Controller stops the current flow from M- to B- which also stops all current going through the Solenoid so the contacts of the Solenoid open with no load.

That is not the case on the Reversing Contactor as current continues to flow, perhaps at high levels depending on the torque conditions when the pedal was released.

The same reason You wire a fly-back diode across a relay coil, the Controller has an internal diode path from M- to B+ that allows the "charged" motor winding to continue to circulate current after the main Solenoid is open.

That is also the reason for the magical current multiplier that a Controller can do at 1/2 throttle, since the average current being discharged from the batteries is 50% but on the motor is about 100% since the current does not stop flowing just because it is not coming from the battery.

Anyway, a simple one device solution is to use a re-settable time off delay relay that keeps power to the reversing contactor for 5 minutes after the pedal is UP.

So if you are driving or maneuvering and lift your foot off the pedal for less than 5 minutes to slow down or stop, the reversing contactor stays energized as it should.

If You stop longer than 5 minutes or turn the key OFF, the reversing contactor goes OFF immediately.

The 5 minutes is just my example, the $30 device I like is adjustable from 1 sec to 10 days delay.

Just sharing my ideas for other members benefit .
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-01-2020, 10:30 AM   #12
fsu1tm
Gone Wild

Club Car

Sergio: Like others on here, I'm hating the click on pedal up and pedal down. I like your idea about the delay relay. Can you post a link to the relay and a wiring diagram. I have two carts. Both series. One with an SR48500/SW202 and the other with an SR48300/SW182. Thanks.
fsu1tm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 01:18 PM   #13
DaveTM
Gone Wild

Sergio.....how will that effect the contactors when the situation occurs where I'm shifting from F to R in say....30 second intervals?

Like when I'm turning around on a tight trail and back up, go forward, back up, go forward....etc?

The reversing contactors I have are in a set. One for forward, and the other for reverse....IIRC.
DaveTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 02:20 PM   #14
greg-g
Gone Wild

Well I would start with some of the rubber isolation mounts see if that cuts it down enough for you
greg-g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 09:04 AM   #15
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

I created a thread for the Series cart delay circuit as not to hijack this Sepex cart thread:

https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/show...34#post1746334
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 09:38 AM   #16
NCPW
Just Gone

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg-g View Post
Well I would start with some of the rubber isolation mounts see if that cuts it down enough for you
I have rubber isolators for the mounting of my RC and solenoid and it doesn't help much at all like I thought it would.
NCPW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 11:46 PM   #17
Dlab
Gone Wild

Me and Hunter450 have been talking about this issue.... I like my setup....posted in Sergios other thread.........

This conversation started with me and another member talking about “less clicking” of the solenoid for a hunting cart. I had a micro switch go bad causing my solinoid to randomly click click click. Upon further research, the solenoid actually gets over worked even on a typical golf cart, on a golf course..... It can open and close 300+ times on one round.

I bypassed the micro switch directly to my key switch as I have a hunting cart. There are NO Clicks while driving through the woods unless you go from F/N/R then you hear the HD reversing contractor. When the key is turned off......the whole system is shut off. I agree you have to be mindful of the setup, and turn the key off when you stop, like you would a car......but going on well over a year setup like this and there has been no issues or codes from my Alltrax.

The solenoid itself has probably saved 1000s of open/closing situations, thus extending its life forever really.

I have 2 fuses, which also have not had an issue with the current setup.

Just turn the key off when you stop. No clicks every time you let off the go pedal......

Call me crazy, but I wouldn’t have it any other way.
Dlab is online now Report Post
Dlab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 12:10 AM   #18
ThreeCW
Gone Wild

Cushman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dlab View Post
I bypassed the micro switch directly to my key switch as I have a hunting cart. There are NO Clicks while driving through the woods unless you go from F/N/R then you hear the HD reversing contractor. When the key is turned off......the whole system is shut off. I agree you have to be mindful of the setup, and turn the key off when you stop, like you would a car......but going on well over a year setup like this and there has been no issues or codes from my Alltrax.
My 1998 Cushman does not have a micro switch as part of the accelerator circuit. The solenoid is controlled by the key switch in series with a seat switch (I think officially referred to as the operator proximity switch). Both the key switch and the seat switch have to be in the closed position to activate the solenoid. If the operator gets out of the cart with the key switch on, the seat switch opens and the solenoid is disabled.

If you don’t have one, the addition of a seat switch could be a valuable addition for those that are concerned about leaving the key switch turned on with the cart not attended.
ThreeCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 10:29 PM   #19
Dlab
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeCW View Post
My 1998 Cushman does not have a micro switch as part of the accelerator circuit. The solenoid is controlled by the key switch in series with a seat switch (I think officially referred to as the operator proximity switch). Both the key switch and the seat switch have to be in the closed position to activate the solenoid. If the operator gets out of the cart with the key switch on, the seat switch opens and the solenoid is disabled.

If you don’t have one, the addition of a seat switch could be a valuable addition for those that are concerned about leaving the key switch turned on with the cart not attended.
Now this is interesting! I’m in the habit of turning the key switch off, but if the wife takes it for a spin I constantly remind her. This is awesome, I’m going to look into this option.

Thanks for the post
Dlab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 11:23 PM   #20
ThreeCW
Gone Wild

Cushman

Here are some examples of seat switches ... many of these types are commonly used on riding mowers. Note that they come in Normally Open or Normally Closed switch positions. My seat switch is Normally Open and is wired in series with my key switch.

https://www.stenscanada.ca/productsc...eat-switchesca
ThreeCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car