lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-29-2020, 04:11 PM   #1
hipower
Getting Wild
Club Car

Default Intermittent starting issue

I have some experience with CC DS electric carts, but was asked to look at a gas DS for a friend. It doesn't always try to start when he depresses the pedal. More often when it's cooler weather and more often in forward than reverse.

I see there is a micro switch in the system that seems to be working as expected, from there I'm just blundering along. Any suggestions of how to proceed are welcome.
hipower is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-01-2020, 07:52 AM   #2
Springbok
Photoshop Guy

Club Car

Default Re: Intermittent starting issue

Is it just doing nothing at all (no noise or anything)? Or is the pause preceded by a squeaking noise?
Springbok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 07:55 AM   #3
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

What year is it?
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 11:14 AM   #4
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Also, if you hold the pedal down does it eventually start? Sometimes they will go after you hold the pedal for 5 or 10 seconds depending on how bad it is. That's pretty common

Also if you give the clutch a half turn by hand and then try to start it again, does it go?
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 08:42 AM   #5
hipower
Getting Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Springbok View Post
Is it just doing nothing at all (no noise or anything)? Or is the pause preceded by a squeaking noise?
Nothing. If you cycle the pedal a couple times it starts.
Old 08-02-2020, 08:44 AM   #6
hipower
Getting Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairtax4me View Post
What year is it?
1997 I think. I've got three of them here right now and they are all 96-97, but I'm not sure which one this is without running out to confirm.
Old 08-02-2020, 08:48 AM   #7
hipower
Getting Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP241 View Post
Also, if you hold the pedal down does it eventually start? Sometimes they will go after you hold the pedal for 5 or 10 seconds depending on how bad it is. That's pretty common

Also if you give the clutch a half turn by hand and then try to start it again, does it go?
I haven't tried either of those things, but as I replied above cycling the pedal gets it going. The owner suggested that he thought it might be the igniter based on what a friend told him. LOL I said I won't just throw parts at it without being more certain that will fix it. I'd rather see him live with the problem until it won't start at all than do that.
Old 08-02-2020, 09:57 AM   #8
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Checked battery connections and frame/engine ground connections?
Multiple pedal presses with no movement or no sound or attempt to spin the starter could be a bad solenoid or bad microswitch.
Test voltage at the solenoid Blue wire for 12v with Key On. Check for same on the Orange wire. With FnR lever in N and microswitch in Maintenance mode press the Go pedal while checking voltage on the Orange wire. Pedal Up should be 12v and should drop to 0v with pedal pressed down. Solenoid should clunk and you should be able to feel it if you put a finger on it. If voltage does not drop from Orange wire then you have a microswitch that’s bad. If voltage does drop but solenoid does not clunk, solenoid is bad.

If solenoid Does clunk check voltage on White cable at starter generator. With pedal pressed voltage on white cable should match battery + voltage. If voltage at S/G white cable post does not equal battery + then poor connection or solenoid is bad. Check voltage at solenoid Red cable post, pedal pressed it should match battery voltage. If voltage is the same the solenoid is bad. If voltage is lower than battery, bad connection or bad battery cable.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 10:16 AM   #9
hipower
Getting Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairtax4me View Post
Checked battery connections and frame/engine ground connections?
Multiple pedal presses with no movement or no sound or attempt to spin the starter could be a bad solenoid or bad microswitch.
Test voltage at the solenoid Blue wire for 12v with Key On. Check for same on the Orange wire. With FnR lever in N and microswitch in Maintenance mode press the Go pedal while checking voltage on the Orange wire. Pedal Up should be 12v and should drop to 0v with pedal pressed down. Solenoid should clunk and you should be able to feel it if you put a finger on it. If voltage does not drop from Orange wire then you have a microswitch that’s bad. If voltage does drop but solenoid does not clunk, solenoid is bad.

If solenoid Does clunk check voltage on White cable at starter generator. With pedal pressed voltage on white cable should match battery + voltage. If voltage at S/G white cable post does not equal battery + then poor connection or solenoid is bad. Check voltage at solenoid Red cable post, pedal pressed it should match battery voltage. If voltage is the same the solenoid is bad. If voltage is lower than battery, bad connection or bad battery cable.
Thanks. Good info. I completed all the other things he wanted done and returned the cart. Next time I'm by his place I'll check those things, unless it quits starting completely before then.
Old 08-02-2020, 01:38 PM   #10
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

And if everything FT said checks out, then it's likely worn brushes in the starter/generator or just a tired S/G.
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car