lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-19-2020, 09:19 AM   #1
silverviper
Not Yet Wild

Default 1994 DS -Only fast speed

1994 Precedent Club Car

May have multiple issues going on here. About a month ago I decided to tackle a nagging problem of the golf cart starting immediately when the key was switched to the “ON” position without pressing in the pedal. I adjusted the throttle rod underneath, and now it works properly. However it no longer has a slow speed, just fast. And I mean faster than it was before by several mph. It only has one speed, fast as possible.

The wife was on it yesterday and it started sputtering and jerking, barely running. I pulled the plug and the spark plug gap is closed. I replaced the plug and now it drives even faster! I parked it for now until I figure it out.

I barely shortened the throttle rod just before you hear the click. No idea where to go from here. Before I made the adjustment to the throttle rod you could control the speed with the pedal, it just started immediately when turning the key.
silverviper is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-19-2020, 12:25 PM   #2
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Default Re: 1994 Precedent -Only fast speed

There was no Precedent model until 2004.
What’s the serial number for your cart?

The adjustment you made needs to be undone. The rod under the floor only determines how soon the micro switches click. If you tighten that too much the throttle cam will not return all the way. The rod should be adjusted so you have 1” of pedal movement before the microswitch clicks.
The throttle plate on the carb is not closing properly.
Either the return spring on the carburetor is broken or missing, or the governor cable that goes from the governor arm on the trans to the carb is stuck and needs to be replaced.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 04:53 PM   #3
silverviper
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: 1994 Precedent -Only fast speed

Serial # AG9427386088

Next weekend I’ll make the adjustment you suggested and report back.
Old 07-26-2020, 02:06 PM   #4
silverviper
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: 1994 DS -Only fast speed

I pulled off the carburetor and upon inspection the throttle plate is missing, only the screws remain. This would probably explain the no gap on the spark plug? Also the top of the carburetor where the spring attaches is getting hung up on the metal shroud that The other side of the spring attaches to, return arm of carb is wobbly. I looked closely and it appears the shaft near the rubber o ring is crushed in a hair. The carburetor basically needs replacement, but is this a loss cause since the throttle plate is inside??? Junk the cart?

You are correct it is a DS model
Old 07-27-2020, 07:14 AM   #5
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

The throttle plate is usually fairly soft metal, it probably just got chewed up and spit out.
You could pull the cylinder head off and check it out, but I wouldn’t expect to find anything except a few knicks in the piston and the cylinder head. If it still runs and doesn’t knock like a diesel then it’s probably fine. Pop a new carb on it and see how it does.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 02:28 PM   #6
silverviper
Not Yet Wild

I went on blind faith and installed the new carb hoping the throttle plate was no longer inside. I also set the throttle rod as you suggested in your first post. Everything works wonderful! The cart responds to different speeds via the pedal. Thank you for your help!

The only thing I’m noticing is It may be going about 1-2 mph slower than before. I’ve read about the zip tie method but I’m scared to try it after going through all this. I could be wrong, it could be normal, just seems slower than before.

Thanks again.
Old 08-01-2020, 08:42 PM   #7
silverviper
Not Yet Wild

GPS on my phone shows 9mph up hills, 10 mph on flat ground. Is this normal for a stock machine?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car