lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-10-2020, 11:05 AM   #1
bigkahuna75
Not Yet Wild

Default 2003 Club Car - first time buyer - what do I need to know?

Hello - a terrific forum you have. I've been reading as much as possible to learn about golf carts.

We just moved to a golf cart community and prices here are pretty high for used carts. A local course has a 2003 Club Car with the 290 Kawasaki engine and I've talked them down to $1700 which is the lowest price I've seen/heard in over a year of looking at ads in our area.

It would be for local use on roads - our area is street legal 25 mph roads for golf carts. Some neighborhood use but mostly to go from our house to the beach or down to a restaurant or to get ice cream.

Mirrors and seat belts are required. I also want to add a rear seat.

My questions - is a 2003 gas engine too old - after 17 years will it still have any get up and go? Am I going to be working on it all the time vs electric? I maintain my vehicles myself but just don't want to waste fun time constantly repairing something. Also it will be used with 2 adults and 2 kids pretty much all the time. Is the 290 going to pull us all well enough?

What rear seat is the best deal/best install?

Adding lights/reflectors? Is it worth it to add lights or should I just slap reflectors on there?

Adding seat belts front and rear - what kit do you recommend?

Also plan on strapping surfboards on the top :)

Thank you so much for your help!
bigkahuna75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-10-2020, 11:28 AM   #2
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Default Re: 2003 Club Car - first time buyer - what do I need to know?

First off, welcome to the madness!! CC ds is a good cart and motor you just won’t know until you run it. I would change the oil, filters and belts. Not a speed demon but should get to high teens. As for accessories David at Revolution is I would think one of the resident CC experts and he sells parts too..
kgsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 11:35 AM   #3
nwocart
Gone Wild
Club Car

I can only answer a couple of these: my 1999 DS had plenty of power to haul 5 adults even with 23" wheels. Just have to test drive it and make sure its not smoking/or sluggish.

To follow up I would do as kgsc said, change oil, filters, belts, as well as new spark plug and possibly adjust valves.

Seems like a decent deal, with the money you're saving you should be able to get a light kit (my recommendation over reflectors) and a seat.

I know nothing about the requirements to drive on teh road with a cart where you live. But here, you need lights /turn signals/ brake lights, horn, windshield, and seatbelts. If you get a light kit make sure it has turn signals and a horn with the kit. I would get lights over reflectors any ways for safety reasons, never know when you could get stuck out near dusk or after dark and it would be much safer.

I had a pair of side mirrors on a cart once, they vibrated and sucked. I would get a 5 position on that mounts between the front roof supports.
nwocart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 11:38 AM   #4
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

I put 5” spot mirrors on mine mounted to the uprights with T nuts. Out of the way and stable
Old 07-10-2020, 12:11 PM   #5
bigkahuna75
Not Yet Wild

Great feedback so far - thank you!

Is there a good light kit anyone would suggest then?

Does the motor alternator have enough juice to power the lights and charge the battery - is it ever an issue running lights or is there any need to upgrade the charging system, etc?
Old 07-10-2020, 12:14 PM   #6
bigkahuna75
Not Yet Wild

Also I see DS mentioned as a model - what does DS mean?

This is the text in the ad -

2003 Club Car DS w/ the kawasaki Gas motor! Turn key & run great!
Old 07-12-2020, 10:57 AM   #7
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

As said, a valve adjustment and compression test will tell you pretty much everything you need to know about the motor. And check for smoking. Great compression is 165-170psi range. And if its low, they're very easy to rebuild.

My current 93 I rebuilt about 6 or 7 months ago. Runs like a top and have not needed to touch the choke button once since rebuild :)

The charging system is fine. The motor is self contained, it will run with no battery or anything extra. It only pulls from the battery to get it started initially. The starter/generator should charge between 15-20 amps depending on specifically which one is in there, but regardless that will run a lot of lights and stuff no problem.

I would agree the 5 panel mirror (under $20) is the way to go. The side view mirrors constantly need to be adjusted, and if you decide to put on an enclosure for rainy or cold days, they just get in the way. I picked up a cheap enclosure on amazon, was like 50 bucks. Slips over the roof and hooks below the body, install takes less than 2 minutes. Its not OEM type enclosure, but for the 50 bucks I paid, it's been awesome.
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 10:15 PM   #8
bigkahuna75
Not Yet Wild

Did a full tuneup got everything running pretty well, took the family out today twice, then on the way home with just the kids on the back I started smelling foul burning smell and then lost power and golf cart died.

Went to try to start and I can hear the solenoid click but the starter doesn't do anything. Had to tow it home with the truck. Real bummer - first day of use and it died.

At home starter isn't turning belt at all and just got really hot when I tried.

Guessing maybe the starter generator burned out? Hoping it's that and not something more serious. Smell was kind of like burning rubber but a little different.
Old 07-18-2020, 05:40 AM   #9
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Brushes more than likely. Take the belt off and see if you can spin it by hand. If yes may just need brushes, no, possibly bearings or toast.
Old 07-18-2020, 07:55 AM   #10
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Agreed. It may just need a set of brushes, they're under $30 bucks or so.

If it is toast, don't fall to the temptation and get a cheap $100 one from ebay or amazon. You'll be lucky if they last a month before dying. They're pricey, but get an OEM one from david hicks www.revolutiongolfcars.com and it should last another 20+ years trouble free.
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gas
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car