lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-03-2020, 04:10 PM   #21
Swan
Cave Dweller

Club Car

Default Re: Changing key questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoleFan4Ever View Post
Gotcha
if i remember correctly I had to take a razor blade and cut the tabs deeper on the cover ring (#8 in the pic).
Swan is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-02-2020, 12:18 AM   #22
breauxcm
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by yawood View Post
Here's something you may like to consider (thanks to wuntunearlybko for the idea).

It is a remote switch which you can hide inside the dash. I have one which I am going to fit soon and I'll fit a small LED where the keyswitch currently is. However you could just as easily leave the keyswitch there and it would be even more confusing to a thief because the key wouldn't do anything at all, no matter what key they had. If you did that just leave off the LED or put the LED somewhere else. I think it's a good idea to have the LED because you then have a visual indicator as to whether the cart is on or off. wuntunearlybko hooked his voltmeter to it instead of the LED so when the cart was off the voltmeter had no reading and that gave the visual indication.

The unit is very well made with good quality remotes. See it at https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

When I show in my diagram "from Hot side of switch" that means that you disconnect the wire from the key switch and connect it here instead. The same on the cold side.
I was hoping you could expand on your wiring diagram some for a non-electrical minded person. I’d like to bypass the key altogether. Just leave it sitting there for a decoy. I think I understand the hot side and cold side of the key switch wires. I’m assuming I can just test with a test light? Black wire from test light on a ground and red wire from test light to find the hot side of key switch and cold side? Once I have that figured out, what other wire do I connect to the wireless switch? Not sure what to do for the “-48” terminal? Thanks in advance!
breauxcm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 04:03 PM   #23
mattkovo
Not Yet Wild

I installed this same remote by chance this weekend. You just need to find a ground wire inside the dash. Grab a voltmeter and connect the hot ignition wire with another wire you suspect to be ground until you see voltage on your meter. I replaced my entire dash with rocker switches and such so a picture from me won’t help. Works like a champ. Pretty cool not even having a keyed switch on the dashboard.
mattkovo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 12:40 AM   #24
yawood
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by breauxcm View Post
I was hoping you could expand on your wiring diagram some for a non-electrical minded person. I’d like to bypass the key altogether. Just leave it sitting there for a decoy. I think I understand the hot side and cold side of the key switch wires. I’m assuming I can just test with a test light? Black wire from test light on a ground and red wire from test light to find the hot side of key switch and cold side? Once I have that figured out, what other wire do I connect to the wireless switch? Not sure what to do for the “-48” terminal? Thanks in advance!
There are two wires going to the key switch, one is blue and the other is green. The blue one should be the "cold" side but you can test that with your light. If your light works with the key off you've found the "hot" side and the other ("cold") side will only work with the key on.

Look at my diagram and disconnect the cold side wire and connect it to the 3rd terminal of the remote (see the next paragraph); disconnect the hot side wire and connect it to the 1st terminal then connect a wire from the 2nd terminal to a negative point on the cart (possibly the one you used for you test light).

What I did was to work out where I was going to fit the unit (I fitted mine on the very right hand side of the dash) then made two wires long enough to go from the key switch to the remote unit. Fit one end of each wire with a male spade terminal and the other end just strip about 5mm of insulation. Your wires will then connect to the wires that came off the key switch (which have female spade terminals) and slip into the terminals on the remote unit. I wrapped electrical tape where the spade terminals meet just to be sure that they don't short anywhere. Wrap them individually so they don't touch each other.

The LED is optional but you really need something that shows you if the cart is on or off. I used a 48V LED but others have connected a volt meter that works when the key is on.

You can also see my post at https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/show...postcount=2097

I hope all that helps.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Wiring.jpg (44.0 KB, 0 views)
yawood is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car