Restoration Early 70's and older restoration projects

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-18-2020, 09:07 PM   #21
seavandal
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Restoring a 1957 Marketeer

More Marketeers.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg marketeer hot rod snip.JPG (75.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg me snip.JPG (49.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg rasta snip.JPG (28.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg red faded snip.JPG (17.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg red white marketeer snip.JPG (55.4 KB, 0 views)
seavandal is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-18-2020, 09:08 PM   #22
seavandal
Not Yet Wild

Last few Marketeers found online.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rusty snip.JPG (54.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Temecula snip.JPG (61.5 KB, 0 views)
Old 02-18-2020, 09:10 PM   #23
seavandal
Not Yet Wild

One last photo of the beater meters on my car (removed from my car).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg meters snip.JPG (51.7 KB, 0 views)
Old 02-18-2020, 09:25 PM   #24
seavandal
Not Yet Wild

By the way Dennis, the dash under the meters shows the switches for the car. The key turns the car on. The top switch is for forward (down) and reverse (up). The bottom switch is for lights. There is a hidden kill switch behind. There is a middle amber light that lets me know the car is on.
The turning indicator flashes on top through the top white circle window. I have seen these turning indicators on other Marketeers. My friend has one on his Towne Deville.
Old 02-19-2020, 12:04 PM   #25
mixdenny
Not Yet Wild
Mixed Breed

I forgot about the hot rodded one with the motorcycle engine. No switches on the early speed control system on mine. Just a long lever that sticks out under the seat for the F-R control.

That's great that you know the guy that owns the Funky Junk Towne Deville. The only other one that I can find photos of is from The Samba forum. Boy, I sure would like to find one! One is shown in the movie, "Auto Focus" but it is probably the Funk Junk one.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Towne Deville from The Samba.jpg (75.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Towne Deville from smartcarofamerica.jpg (86.2 KB, 0 views)
mixdenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 01:55 AM   #26
seavandal
Not Yet Wild

There used to be a forward reverse switch behind the driver's ankles. That was removed and there was a huge electrical connector plug put in its place. You could pull the plug out of the connector to kill the motor. It was like a safety kill switch.
I removed the whole thing and put a modern plug for the new battery charger there. I have an original charger receiver plug on the Motorette that I will put on the Marketeer since there is just a hole where the old original used to be.
Does your charger receiver plug look like this one?
I have been getting work done on the bumpers. This Marketeer had two bumpers. I have the original rear bumper but was broken off at the supports attached to the frame. The front bumper was missing but I could see the welds that held it in place. One metal fabricator said it could cost as much as $500 to make it. Yikes! I found another guy that told me to get the tube (11 gauge 1 1/4" steel tubing) and he would bend it for $40. Nice! That's what I did.
Now I have to cut and weld the parts together. It looks a little tricky but I think with me cutting the tube and my welder friend welding, we can get it done. I think I might practice on some cheap PVC pipe before starting the bumper cuts. This weekend looks like a good time. It should turn out like the red marketeers in the pictures.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg thumbnail_Resized_Screenshot_20200202-083052_Video_Player.jpg (31.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg charger hole.JPG (16.6 KB, 0 views)
Old 02-21-2020, 12:35 PM   #27
mixdenny
Not Yet Wild
Mixed Breed

The more I look around the more parts I find that could fit the door latches. These 1951 Ford handles look like a match.

Also, this inside remote latch for 1940 Nash Ambassador is close to the mechanism. There are tons of old latches to look through. I finally got the door handles off. Here is a photo of my latch with dimensions of the spring.

Dennis
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1940 Nash Ambassdor rear.jpg (212.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 1951-1956-FORD-INSIDE-DOOR-HANDLE.jpg (26.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Door latch.JPG (135.0 KB, 0 views)
Old 02-21-2020, 06:59 PM   #28
seavandal
Not Yet Wild

Those small tabs that hold the spring in the middle are weak. When I pried them slightly apart, one "wing" snapped off. That makes the spring impossible to replace. Even if you get the spring out without snapping the wing off, the spring is super tough and near impossible to load it into position.
I just took a spring I had and stretched it between two points and hooked it in place. It works and is pretty much invisible. I need a stronger one, but the one I have now is working albeit weak.
I was digging through the old online newspapers last night and found ads from 1954 to 56. Here are a couple of finds.
Unfortunately, I don't think Ben will answer the phone.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg marketter business card.JPG (21.6 KB, 0 views)
Attached Files
File Type: pdf san bernardino sun 1954 sept marketeer ad.pdf (227.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: pdf 1956 marketeer info sun paper.pdf (164.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: pdf june 17 1956 marketeer ad sun newspaper san bernardino.pdf (144.2 KB, 0 views)
Old 02-22-2020, 12:28 PM   #29
mixdenny
Not Yet Wild
Mixed Breed

This is my favorite newspaper clipping. It shows the 1950 lineup and you will notice the soft top instead of the fiberglass top. Nice look at the tiny assembly area with Merl working on the frames. Then a later view showing how large the factory had become. By 1963 they made a staggering 34 different models according to a production record I have.

Dennis
Attached Images
File Type: jpg The_San_Bernardino_County_Sun_Sun__Feb_5__1950_.jpg (203.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Folder21.003 Marketeer Factory.jpg (248.8 KB, 0 views)
Old 02-22-2020, 06:36 PM   #30
seavandal
Not Yet Wild

Great newspaper clipping Dennis! It seems that the basic shape of the Marketeer was around for quite a while. Where my car fits in to the line up is still a mystery. These newspaper clips may offer an answer with a little sleuthing.
There is one drawing that I came across that I will be making into a t-shirt. Cheesy but not too cheesy! I like how she is driving and he's the passenger.
Here it is:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg the californian snip.JPG (49.8 KB, 0 views)
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Restoration