lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-02-2020, 12:01 PM   #31
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Default Re: DS excessive oil consumption

Was the gasket you put on a grey paper type? Because those are complete junk and will fall apart.
Use an OEM gasket. No sealer. Torque the bolts to 11ft lbs in a criss-cross pattern. Then torque to 20ft lbs in the same pattern.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-02-2020, 12:37 PM   #32
Golf cart guy
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairtax4me View Post
Was the gasket you put on a grey paper type? Because those are complete junk and will fall apart.
Use an OEM gasket. No sealer. Torque the bolts to 11ft lbs in a criss-cross pattern. Then torque to 20ft lbs in the same pattern.

See I like the paper one, Ive done hundreds and never had one come back.
If you look at why the OEM fails, its because it become brittle and it always fails in between the 2 stand off bolts that club car adds. Its making sure those stand off bolts are properly torqued to make sure you done have a repeat failure. Use of this after market product is one of the few that I find to be better. Granted, Im sure there are some cheap ones out there on amazon or ebay, those I would tend to stay away from for sure.

No sealer for sure, that will cause a failure no matter what gasket you use.
Golf cart guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 01:23 PM   #33
Motorman 007
Getting Wild

You guys are great for getting back to me so quickly. This thing has me pissed so I have the motor out, on the bench, and apart. Clearly something is wrong. It must have been the high temp permatex silicone I used??? I’ll try and attach a picture or two.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 43FB4232-15F3-467D-9DD2-47B98B1E30EB.jpg (193.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 55C4ACF9-9597-4CF6-A670-58019F8B4E11.jpg (176.4 KB, 0 views)
Motorman 007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 04:42 PM   #34
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golf cart guy View Post
See I like the paper one, Ive done hundreds and never had one come back.
If you look at why the OEM fails, its because it become brittle and it always fails in between the 2 stand off bolts that club car adds. Its making sure those stand off bolts are properly torqued to make sure you done have a repeat failure. Use of this after market product is one of the few that I find to be better. Granted, Im sure there are some cheap ones out there on amazon or ebay, those I would tend to stay away from for sure.

No sealer for sure, that will cause a failure no matter what gasket you use.
What brand are the ones you use? Maybe those are better than the ones I've had to deal with.
The only ones I've done are OG that were 15+ years old, or paper grey/black ones that were replaced already and only 1-2 years old. One of those was less than 6 months old which may have been a fluke, but I didn't install it, so I dunno if the bolts were torqued properly.

Whatever the material is they make the OEM gasket from, it's much much better IMO than the cheapo paper ones. I figure if the first one lasted 15 years, the new OEM one that I put in will last until the cart is ready for the junk heap.
The reason they get brittle there is because of thermal cycling from the cylinder. That's the spot that has the quickest expansion when the engine starts heating up, and that will eventually lead to failure of any gasket. But I like that the OEM gasket holds itself together and cracks rather than turning into pulp and getting sucked into the engine.

That's all paper gasket stuck under the oil pickup screen. There was a lot more than that stuck to the screen. The next step would have been total failure from starvation.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 05:41 AM   #35
Motorman 007
Getting Wild

New gasket installed. No sealer. Torqued to 11 and then 20. We’ll see what happens.....thanks for everything.
Motorman 007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car