lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Lifted Golf Carts
Lifted Golf Carts Off-Road Golf Carts.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-18-2014, 08:47 PM   #1
Scott_nra
Getting Wild

Default Heavy Rear Spring ride is ROUGH!

So my All Sports lift kit came with XH rear springs. They are. I really need to soften that ride up a bit as it will shake loose your fillings as it is on a rough road and even staying in the seat is a challenge at times.

There are galvanized metal straps overe rubber holding the springs together. I have heard that it you remove those straps it will smooth out the ride, but still have the extra load capacity.

Love to hear from someone who's been down this rough road before. I'm guessing once you bust those things loose, you're not getting them back on.
Scott_nra is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-18-2014, 10:55 PM   #2
Streetbu
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Heavy Rear Spring ride is ROUGH!

I bought a different lift than you, but it can with HD springs front and rear. The ride wasn't just stiff, there was NO suspension movement at all! I ended up using the lift, but used my stock springs front & rear to keep some kind of suspension. I love how it came out. Of course I'd rather have a long travel but the wallet says no LOL you can find my build link in my Sig.
Streetbu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 11:07 PM   #3
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Leaf springs can be like that. Like they have some kind of band that wraps around the spring pack and it's so tight that the springs don't have any give. On our old pickups we used to grease the leaves so they would move and have some give. We also would remove the heaviest bottom leaf, and that usually helped the ride out the most. I've heard of some guys here doing that, just removing one leaf. Unfortunately, it is what it is....a leaf spring suspension. And they all ride rough.

The stock spring idea is a good idea.
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 07:52 AM   #4
lockman1
What the ....?

Club Car

The straps are there to keep all of the leafs in-line with each other!
without them... the single center bolt will allow the leafs to "fan-out".

When I/we installed a Super Sport 7.5" on my best bud's 94,
it took barely a week before he and his wife complained about the harsh ride,
We took out the lowest/shorter leaf, (not the little helper leaf)
and reused the strap, but with a thicker rubber sleeve, (I think it was a plumbing/drain union)
and if I remember correctly... it was a bear to reconnect the straps, but it can be done!
They said it helped, but, I thought it rode just as harsh!

I took my HD leafs off completely, and put on the single medium duty leafs with helper leafs.
My cart rides a little better... but, it's still pretty "bone jarring"!

lockman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 04:31 PM   #5
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockman1 View Post
The straps are there to keep all of the leafs in-line with each other!
without them... the single center bolt will allow the leafs to "fan-out".

When I/we installed a Super Sport 7.5" on my best bud's 94,
it took barely a week before he and his wife complained about the harsh ride,
We took out the lowest/shorter leaf, (not the little helper leaf)
and reused the strap, but with a thicker rubber sleeve, (I think it was a plumbing/drain union)
and if I remember correctly... it was a bear to reconnect the straps, but it can be done!
They said it helped, but, I thought it rode just as harsh!

I took my HD leafs off completely, and put on the single medium duty leafs with helper leafs.
My cart rides a little better... but, it's still pretty "bone jarring"!

Right! Glad someone chimed in that has done this. The leafs is one reason I didn't like my EZGO and got a Yamaha. But, my cart rides stiff too, just not as bad. Just have to take the bad with the good with these carts. Thankfully there isn't "much" that's bad.
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 05:52 PM   #6
93yellowclubcar
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Club Car

The best ride will come from putting the stock rear springs back on with the lift. I had a different brand of lift, but once I took the short leaves out of the HD rear spring pack the springs began to sag badly, the one on the driver's side almost flattened!! I'm a big guy, but I'm not that fat!! On the front springs on my lift kit, I took out the short leaf with no ill effects, and actually gained front end articulation!
93yellowclubcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 10:03 PM   #7
1970buick
Gone Wild

If you want a better ride, ditch the HD leaf springs, reinstall stock springs and get some adjustable gas shocks. I am going to be doing that conversion myself this spring before cart season.
1970buick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 02:33 PM   #8
natew121
Gone Wild

i totally removed the oem shock and rear coil spring . and replaced them with shocks off a Polaris 700 sportsman cut the stock mounts off for both the rear coil spring and stock shock mount and got my metal shop to make me two U brackets and bolted them to the golf carts swing arm. the plus to the shocks is theres optional springs that you can buy for different load rates and they come adjustable which i have mine set at the 4th to last setting and with 2 people on it rides very smooth considering my golf cart is lifted and will do 30-35mph . ill post a picture when i get off work later today
and for 50$ its night and day difference as far as ride quality and performance go you really cant beat that price for 2 shocks.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2003-POLARIS...86a4b7&vxp=mtr
also might as well throw this out there .. found these fox shocks as well that ill be mounting to the front when i redo my drop axle setup,which anyone who knows anything about offroading knows fox makes good stuff!..
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2003-POLARIS...0ec4c7&vxp=mtr
natew121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 10:52 AM   #9
Texas001
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I have the stock two leaf springs on my cart and it is bone jarring rough riding on my rough ranch roads. When riding two people and a feeder full of corn the ride is somewhat smoother. I have thought of removing one of the leafs or getting about 200 lbs of lead and bolt it under the floor or .......... I have to do some thing because it is too darn rough for an old man like me. I don't think that air shocks would help as the springs only allow very little travel that a shock could soften but then that is me thinking without really knowing what I am talking about.
Texas001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 02:15 PM   #10
Springbok
Photoshop Guy

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93yellowclubcar View Post
The best ride will come from putting the stock rear springs back on with the lift.
Yep. After reading stories of HD springs and stiff rides I never bothered to ever try running them. I love my cart's ride.
Springbok is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Lifted Golf Carts