lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-18-2021, 06:35 PM   #1
wienerdog63
Not Yet Wild

Default Cable upgrade

Quick question gurus. While doing some maintenance on my old DS, 1981, like replacing solenoids, cleaning connections and such, I had to replace a couple cables. I replaced all the battery cables with 2ga cuz that's what I had. Should I need to replace all 4 going to the motor with 2ga as well? Is there much of an advantage in doing so? Thanks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20210418_150718.jpg (296.4 KB, 0 views)
wienerdog63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-18-2021, 07:50 PM   #2
R&TBabich
Gone Wild
Club Car

Default Re: Cable upgrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by wienerdog63 View Post
.... I replaced all the battery cables with 2ga cuz that's what I had. Should I need to replace all 4 going to the motor with 2ga as well? Is there much of an advantage in doing so? Thanks.
For a stock 250A system there is probably no performance advantage.
The 2ga cables are stouter and will probably last longer before needing to be replaced again.
Our 2003 had 2ga cables on it when we got it.
R&TBabich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 09:59 PM   #3
Mbop
Getting Wild

Star

How about with an upgraded controller? You’d even put the 2g on the field posts?
Mbop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 09:59 AM   #4
R&TBabich
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbop View Post
How about with an upgraded controller? You’d even put the 2g on the field posts?
I think on a series cart with an upgraded controller the field cables would need to be upgraded, too.
On our 2003 IQ sepex cart I moved the OEM armature cables to the field side.
I've read I don't really need to because a sepex system field circuit is not using high current like a series system does.
R&TBabich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 08:21 PM   #5
Mbop
Getting Wild

Star

Thanks for the info. I also have a sepex system and thought that most of the high current draw is directed at the armature and not the field. I’m still trying to figure these motors out so my working knowledge of them is limited.
Mbop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 11:09 AM   #6
PingEye3
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by wienerdog63 View Post
Quick question gurus. While doing some maintenance on my old DS, 1981, like replacing solenoids, cleaning connections and such, I had to replace a couple cables. I replaced all the battery cables with 2ga cuz that's what I had. Should I need to replace all 4 going to the motor with 2ga as well? Is there much of an advantage in doing so? Thanks.
Since you said you have the 2ga cable, replace the motor cables as well. Be sure to use a wrench on both sides of the motor studs to keep the stud from turning inside and breaking something. It may take grinding down a 1/2" wrench to make it thin enough, but do not skip this part. Motor damage will occur if you start twisting the studs. With new #2 cables to motor you may get a slight performance. But new #6 cables would also do the same.
PingEye3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car