lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-29-2014, 06:53 AM   #1
bthor76
Not Yet Wild

Smile Newbie looking to buy his first golf cart

I would like to buy an electric cart to take my three dogs around the neighborhood. They love to ride in my car so much I figured a cart ride would make their day and mine to boot. At most I would only be traveling about two miles at one time before returning home. I live in the New Orleans area so inclement weather such as snow is not a problem but rain is.

Since all you fellas know more than me I figure that any advice would be helpful. This is an experiment I am not going to invest heavy bucks and buy a new cart. I found a few on Craigslist in the $1000-$1,500 range that would need some TLC which I can do. I like to tinker so I would like to customize it and enjoy doing some upgrades as time goes on, ie. lift kits, bigger wheels, new paint, etc.

Two questions that immediately come to mind are these:
Question 1: Is there any appreciable difference in quality between EZ Go and Club Car?

Question 2: What are the advantages to having a 48v vs. 36?

Any help would be appreciated.
bthor76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-29-2014, 08:24 AM   #2
Great white north
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Newbie looking to buy his first golf cart

The main difference between CC and EZgo is the frame the CC is aluminium
The EZgo is steel , I feel Ezgo esp. a TXT PDS fleet cart is the best one to modify due to availability of parts ease of upgrading and speed it can go
Do not forget the CC on most models I think have a MCOR device that can and does cause issues , but both are good quality carts its like the Ford -Chevy thing
Advantage of 48 volt -cooler motor higher speed
I just feel its easier to upgrade a TXT cart then a CC ( club-Car )
Cheers!
Great white north is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 03:44 PM   #3
720Deere
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Great white north View Post
The main difference between CC and EZgo is the frame the CC is aluminium
The EZgo is steel , I feel Ezgo esp. a TXT PDS fleet cart is the best one to modify due to availability of parts ease of upgrading and speed it can go
Do not forget the CC on most models I think have a MCOR device that can and does cause issues , but both are good quality carts its like the Ford -Chevy thing
Advantage of 48 volt -cooler motor higher speed
I just feel its easier to upgrade a TXT cart then a CC ( club-Car )
Cheers!
I agree with all of this. Had I gone with a gas cart, I would have chosen Yamaha, but for electric the easy choice was EZGO. I like the looks of the EZGO best of all of them, but the biggest part of my decision was the simplicity of their systems and the availability of parts. Easy speed was also a big factor for me.

For simple transportation with no desire to customize the cart, you can't really go wrong either way.
720Deere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 05:49 PM   #4
eflyguy
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I highly recommend posting up what you're looking at before pulling the trigger. If you don't know what to look for, you could end up paying a lot more than you should.

If I had to do it again, I would have looked for one without batteries or "needs new" batteries, and sunk the extra we paid into a set of brand new Trojans.
eflyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 06:18 PM   #5
bthor76
Not Yet Wild

Thanks to all of you who have so far taken the time to reply to my post.

The one I have in mind is an EZGO (unknown year) but looks modern with the standard golf club caddy type thing in the back which I would remove and set up some type of rear facing seat if possible or a bed type structure for the dogs.

His listing on Craigslist is as follows: "EZGO golf cart and brand new batteries out of the box. Golf Cart does not run."

Hell I figure hook or crook I can make it run. I mean with new batteries what besides the motor and throttle switch could keep it from running?
Old 03-29-2014, 06:26 PM   #6
bthor76
Not Yet Wild

Question to Great White North: What is a TXT cart?
Old 03-29-2014, 06:33 PM   #7
720Deere
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

TXT is the body style. The TXT was made with several different controller configurations.

The flip-flop seat would work nice for your dogs since the seat flips over to make a nice 3'x3' flat platform.
720Deere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 06:37 PM   #8
vagabond
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

a TXT is a model of easy go to find the year you need the serial number, look on the right side in the cubby hole if it's there you can go to the EZGO website and find the year, if it's newer the serial number could be on the steering column low on left side. or if it's an older cart the serial number could be on the frame under the seat on the left side.
Hope I got that all right
vagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 07:28 PM   #9
bthor76
Not Yet Wild

Thanks fellas. I think I will limit my searches to EZGOs for two reasons; I like it's looks and secondly because of what you said about ease of upgrades, availability of parts and simplicity. I'm finding that prices vary wildly.
Old 03-30-2014, 08:05 AM   #10
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

New batteries but doesn't run... I'd ask if he immediately charged the batteries after installation and every month thereafter. New is a relative term, and if they weren't kept fully charged, may not give you the life they should.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO