lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas golf carts
Gas golf carts Harley Davidson, Melex, Pargo, Taylor-Dunn and other Misc. Carts.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-19-2012, 10:58 AM   #1
CharleyL
Gone Wild

Cushman

Default 1987 Cushman Truckster Carburetor

I'm restoring a 1987 Cushman Truckster that has a horizontal flow KEIHIN carburetor. I've got the motor running but the carburetor could use a re-build kit. However, the carburetor has no identifying numbers on it other than the manufacturer name. I've spent several hours searching the internet and have found many re-build kits for KEIHIN carburetors, but I'm not sure which one is the correct one for my carburetor, as they all seem to be listed for motorcycles. Does anyone know which is the correct kit? I need all of the gaskets and rubber parts, needle valvesb, etc. plus a new float.

Many thanks in advance for any help you can offer on this.
CharleyL
CharleyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-20-2012, 06:50 AM   #2
racin161
Gone Wild

Default Re: 1987 Cushman Truckster Carburetor

Look on the mounting flange you will see numbers I think. Maybe B70D--- Not many replaceable parts other than needle & seat float bowl gasket or rubber formed O ring. I guess you could mess with the jets but I don't think other than a good cleaning you'll be good to go.

LOU
racin161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 12:14 PM   #3
Unforgiven
Feral

Mixed Breed

I'd say 90% of the time all carbs just needs are cleaning. Just be carefull with the gaskets. I've fixed a few atvs that just had sludge in the bowl and needles and jets. No kit required if you don't break the gasket
Unforgiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 07:55 PM   #4
CharleyL
Gone Wild

Cushman

Thanks for the quick response. We've already cleaned the carburetor. That's how we got the motor running, after replacing the fuel line, filters, and electric fuel pump. I've learned from prior experience that the rubber parts get less flexible over time, especially parts like the accelerator pump diaphram, This truckster has been sitting untouched for over 10 years, so all of the rubber parts; tires, valve stems, weather stripping, gaskets, etc are in bad shape. With this I decided to try to replace every piece of rubber that I could.

I'll pull the carburetor and look for the number again. My son and I
couldn't find any markings, except the manufacturer name when we pulled it for cleaning, but a close second look under the right lighting might find it.

Yesterday I ran across a guy restoring a 1979 truckster and it had the same carburetor as mine. I asked him if he rebuilt it yet and he said that he took it apart and cleaned it, but hadn't tried to re-build it. If I find a rebuild kit I promised to provide the source to him.

Today it's been raining, so I spent my time rounding up tires and inner tubes for it (the rims are too pitted to seal to the tubeless tires effectively). I found the tires within 2 miles of the house, but had to drive to the other side of the next county to get the tubes. I tried to buy new rims with tires already mounted from Northern, but their 4 lug rims have a slightly different hole spacing and won't fit on the truckster. The old rims will be painted tomorrow (if it clears up) and then I'll have the tires mounted. The brake cylinder parts are supposed to be here in the morning (3rd try to get the right ones). With any luck I'll be able to drive it on Saturday.

CharleyL
CharleyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas golf carts