lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-21-2008, 01:13 PM   #1
gunrunner
Not Yet Wild

Question Old EZGO(87) need advice on new Parts

I am in the process of resorting an 87 Electric EZGO cart on a budget and I need some advice/assistance on getting what I need to make it functional.

The Motor is still stock and 2HP With a full charge on the batteries it cannot make it up a less than 1 degree uphill slope. Downhill with a strong backwind I think I can get it up to about 8MPH.

We have taken the cart 90% appart and I am making some much needed fixes and I feel without a new motor with a little higher torque it will all be invein. I have seen many motors online, but even after taking it apart there seems to be no coupler on the mortor, just a straight shaft where the first gear is attached. Is there anything that I can do to replace the motor with a 4+ HP without a ton of cost replacing the speed conrtoll and the entire rear-end?
gunrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-21-2008, 06:52 PM   #2
pggroves
steeplejack x

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Old EZGO(87) need advice on new Parts

I'll have to look, but I seem to recall seeing a field coil upgrade for that motor that gets it to 3 or 3.5hp.

And of course I would be remiss if I did not include that EMP (site sponsor) can hook you up for sure using your motor as the core.

FWIW, I think you may have other issues if your cart will only do 8 mph. Batteries come to mind.

Good luck. I'm partial to the Marathons myself. They are tanks!!!
pggroves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 07:09 PM   #3
gunrunner
Not Yet Wild

I did have the batteries all tested last weekend, and they are all in "Good" to "Moderate" condition. (at least 90% life remaining)

After taking a look at a few other posts, at this point research helps, I think that it may be the way the previous owner replaced the wiring too... it seems to be a around a 8 gauge wire. Do you think that upgrading to a 4 to 2 gauge wire would have negligible, moderate, or significant effect?

I am new so any assistance is appreciated
Old 07-21-2008, 07:22 PM   #4
roady89
nimda
Club Car

The only way you will see any real gains is if the stockers are really messed up and just plain aren't working....in which case the cart would probly not even run if they were that bad. Stockers usually have 6 gauge cable I believe.

Adding 4 gauge will only give you a performance boost if the system "needs" it. In your case 2 gauge will not give you any more than 4 gauge.(most people don't need 2 gauge anyways. It's overkill.) You might see a small increase in low end torque but you will not gain any speed.
roady89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 07:32 PM   #5
rusty
Golf Cart Photographer

Club Car

Welcome to the forum gunrunner......................
rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 08:26 PM   #6
pggroves
steeplejack x

E-Z-GO

A couple of things to check.
Check the FNR for any signs of heat.
Check the FNR copper contacts as well.
Check the speed board including wiper arm and contacts. Again for signs of heat and condition of copper.
Check to make sure wiper arm has complete and free motion top to bottom.
Check the speed resistor coils and make sure one isn't cracked or broken.

Roady is spot on about cables. Nothing more than 4 gauge is needed. Check the wiring against diagrams found here on the forum.

Good luck.
pggroves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 10:56 PM   #7
gunrunner
Not Yet Wild

About 1/2 of the wires that were "Replaced" are wrapped in a ton of electrical tape and I know they are 8 gauge... The wires that went to the charger plug crumbled when I moved them (it wasn't hooked up ayway). After taking another look at it I think that I should go with your advice, roady, and at least get 6g wires back on it.

pggroves... Thanks for the tips, next time I have a few to work on it, I'll check all of it and let you know how it looks... (maybe I'll even post picts)

Over all, when I bought it I knew it was in dire need of attention and the guy I bought it from started to try to resore it... (new cables and an overcoat of paint)

I have stripped is almost all of the way down except for some of the electronics (I had no diagrams at the time) With the replacement metal I have already had to replace except for the skeleton frame it will be mostly rebult... I was just hoping that I could rebuild it and customize it enough to use and keep the total budget to around $1500.

I think I'll take some time off from welding and focus on the electrical next round!!!

By the way... could any of you tell me the model name of the cart?? the Model number shows J1187... I Still do not know what the J11 is.
Old 07-21-2008, 10:58 PM   #8
roady89
nimda
Club Car

The J11 means April 11th. It's a Marathon cart

April 11, 1987 is it's birthday....the other numbers are the production sequence.
roady89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 11:20 AM   #9
gunrunner
Not Yet Wild

Well... I gotta say, "Dang!!! Roady and Groves, you are awesome!"

Now that I got the cuddos out of they way, I took a closer look at all of the electrical, and although speedboard and contacts looked almost brand new, the wiper contact looked like hamburger, and it was cooked. The FNR switch looked good as well but there was a couple spots where the copper was raised kinda pilled up on an end.
When I tried to take the swiper off the plastic started to fall apart in my hand.

I guess my next stop is to cartszone.com for the parts (yes I will support the sponsors)

Before I put in my order for all the replacements I need, can you think of anything else? And as a side question to the gods of carts... If I want to later upgrade to 48v later... will I really have to get a new speed control and replace the speed board that I will be fixing?
Old 07-25-2008, 11:22 AM   #10
gunrunner
Not Yet Wild

(And the resister coils were good but I may just replace them anyway)

Tags
1987, cart, electric, ezgo
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO