lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-17-2010, 12:30 PM   #1
Buch
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default 1986 Marathon Resistor $386?

My 1986 Marathon needed a new resistor. Service guy charged me $386.90 for coils and board and intalled in the old box with new bolts etc. He said you can get cheaper coils but that the one he ordered was original factory and much better than what you find on the internet. I've been looking on the internet and the ones I see are in the $70-$90 range. Did I get screwed or is he telling the truth? Seemed like a honest guy??
Buch is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-17-2010, 12:51 PM   #2
buckmanmike
Gone Wild

Default Re: 1986 Marathon Resistor $386?

I think $400 spent on an 86 cart was more than cart value. For that price you could have gotten a rebuilt controller and pot box and have a cart with better range and smoother operation.
buckmanmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 12:54 PM   #3
Buch
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Yea I you may be right, cart has been completely redone so it looks good. Guess I now have a classic with factory parts
Old 07-17-2010, 04:09 PM   #4
buckmanmike
Gone Wild

I too have spent too much on my old cart. I think its an 82 model but when I broke my resistors when running through a creek I upgraded to a controller. Big improvement over resistors, and I can go through creeks now as long as they are not too deep.
buckmanmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 05:10 PM   #5
Buch
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckmanmike View Post
I too have spent too much on my old cart. I think its an 82 model but when I broke my resistors when running through a creek I upgraded to a controller. Big improvement over resistors, and I can go through creeks now as long as they are not too deep.
I just don't know why the repair guy didn't suggest that, I am new to carts and was in a rush to get it fixed to take to the lake. I still wonder if he really paid $380 for that resistor/plate.
Old 07-17-2010, 05:19 PM   #6
rabbitreborn
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

did he lie to you.... ummm ..... welll.... ok I have to just blurt it out..... Yeah, he sold you a bill of goods. The "aftermarket" resistor coils are just as good as the factory setup, however, here is the OEM part STRAIGHT FROM E-Z-GO:
http://www.shopezgo.com/catalog/cate...=resistor+coil

Retail cost $169.00 for the part (including a new outter casing)...... so unless he charged you $220 for labor, yeah, you got taken. That part should have taken 30 minutes to change for a professional mechanic (I personally can change one in less time but I am being nice here) so you should have paid no more than a half hour labor (the labor rate at my shop is $55/hour). So $169.00 (part) + $10.00 (freight) + $27.50 (labor) + $15.00 (Shop supply) = $221.50 (plus appropriate taxes).
rabbitreborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 05:36 PM   #7
Buch
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbitreborn View Post
did he lie to you.... ummm ..... welll.... ok I have to just blurt it out..... Yeah, he sold you a bill of goods. The "aftermarket" resistor coils are just as good as the factory setup, however, here is the OEM part STRAIGHT FROM E-Z-GO:
http://www.shopezgo.com/catalog/cate...=resistor+coil

Retail cost $169.00 for the part (including a new outter casing)...... so unless he charged you $220 for labor, yeah, you got taken. That part should have taken 30 minutes to change for a professional mechanic (I personally can change one in less time but I am being nice here) so you should have paid no more than a half hour labor (the labor rate at my shop is $55/hour). So $169.00 (part) + $10.00 (freight) + $27.50 (labor) + $15.00 (Shop supply) = $221.50 (plus appropriate taxes).
Thanks for the reply, live and learn. I should have done my research on this site first. At least I can brag that my resistor costs more than yours
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO