lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Design Center
Design Center Shop tools, fabrication and Paint and Body

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-14-2010, 08:05 PM   #1
RICHIE RICH
Getting Wild

Yamaha

Default Steering shaft cover install

installing a Stainless Steel cover is easy, but with no hardware and instruction, some have asked my how... well it easy

This will give you a Centered and rattle free Cover..

needed, 1-small metal screw and a roll of electric tape and WD40.

first it is bigger than the shaft on the cart so it slips on
and will rattle around if not secured...

here is the cheap and simple fix...

as photos show...

first I drill a small hole 1/2" from bottom on cover.

I slide the cover over the shaft about 2" lower than I want it, then
take electric tape and wrap the shaft a few turns then slide up cover if it is not tight, I go a couple more until it is

then I slide up a couple inch higher than I want and do the same on the bottom, until the cover fit is tight,
Using a little WD40 help it slide.

then I put on the steering wheel hub and slide the shaft as tight as I can to the hub and hold in place with a clamp and center punch the hole and then I remove and drill...

slide in place install small metal screw

I know this sounds simple, but believe me... I have seen everything from hose clamps to duck tape, even someone used a lock collar once..that's not bad, but still rattles
Attached Images
File Type: jpg steer shaft 2.JPG (80.9 KB, 73 views)
File Type: jpg steer shaft 1.JPG (83.3 KB, 73 views)
RICHIE RICH is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-15-2010, 11:21 AM   #2
RICHIE RICH
Getting Wild

Yamaha

Default Re: Steering shaft cover install

doesn't seem this went over big, so before i take the time of posting and getting photos, maybe i ask this question, is there anything someone is not sure how to do or needs ideas before they tackle a job...

be glad to help with info... but want to make post people are going to read and use.. other wise it is just a waste of my time.... let me know....
Old 01-16-2010, 08:10 AM   #3
lockman1
What the ....?

Club Car

You did good RR!

BUT... With my 07 CC, I didnt, and don't have any rattling issues with my steering shaft cover... It fits pretty snug,
but, for anyone else that has your same situation, it's a good fix!!

There are two things that concern me though...

1) Golf cars get wet... (washing, weather, condensation, etc.)
May I suggest cutting away a small amount of tape on the bottom of the lower wrap of tape to create a "Weep Hole"
so, water doesn't build up between the cover and the shaft!

2) The "Hold down" screw...
I know the covers are made of THIN material, but... rather then drilling into the steering column itself,
Drill and tap the hole in the cover,
use a stainless steel machine screw just to hold pressure against the column, to hold it in place,
rather then drilling too far into the column shaft by accident? (Hey... it could happen!)

I, by no means, are "critiquing" your work... just thought I'd throw a couple of different ideas at you!

lockman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 08:38 AM   #4
RICHIE RICH
Getting Wild

Yamaha

no problem Lockman1, that is what this site is for to learn and hear other ideas, i learn something new every day, i have no prolem with other voicing there ideas, as long as people do it with respect as you did...

the yamaha is not snug, about a 1/16" to 1/18" all the way around, if you going to use it off road you can also use silicone to seal the ends, i just prefer to let it be, so far i haven't had any problems, my first inslall was 6 years ago, but more time will tell...

input is always good... Dunce in training and learning everyday....
Old 01-16-2010, 08:57 AM   #5
Pimp Daddy
Proud Paw Paw

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by RICHIE RICH View Post
doesn't seem this went over big, so before i take the time of posting and getting photos, maybe i ask this question, is there anything someone is not sure how to do or needs ideas before they tackle a job...

be glad to help with info... but want to make post people are going to read and use.. other wise it is just a waste of my time.... let me know....

Good Idea R/R... Had the same problem on my ezgo. I took a mallet and a block of wood, egged both ends, tightening it up.
Pimp Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 09:05 AM   #6
RICHIE RICH
Getting Wild

Yamaha

i had also heard of others using silicone on the shaft, but then you have no way to keep it centered so the the wheel hub looks even, the one i did last week, i machined the the wheel hub (from Grant) to make the opening larger so the S/S cover slipped under it, but not every one has a lath to do that, that also helps the look and help keep the dirt and water from getting in the top of the shaft..
Old 01-16-2010, 09:43 AM   #7
mikesmotortoys
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

We've never had one rattle - guess it all depends on where the product came from in the beginning?

Factory EZGO - Bad Boy Buggy - Dixie Chopper Mowers
mikesmotortoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 09:50 AM   #8
golfcarfixer
Gone Wild

Club Car

On a club car you can just take off the plastic cover and the nhousing underneath is aluminum and I just polish it up and it looks great.
golfcarfixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 10:18 AM   #9
Flintrock
Raised by coyotes

Yamaha

Richie, that really is some good info and makes a lot of sense. I think the slow response is just a matter of not everyone needing to it that often....... But Thanks!
Flintrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 11:34 AM   #10
invalidsession
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfcarfixer View Post
On a club car you can just take off the plastic cover and the nhousing underneath is aluminum and I just polish it up and it looks great.
I did the very same thing to my CC steering column gcfixer, well worth the elbow grease.

On my second CC project cart I have used self adhesive diamond plate material, another cheap and easy way to dress up the column and add a little originality.

Chris.
invalidsession is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Design Center