lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-29-2017, 06:28 PM   #1
G-gaurd
Getting Wild

Default G1 ... No compression at all

Hey hey hey
Newbie to site and a G1
So I get the G1 from a neighbor who says " all they told me was it had a blown head gasket ” . That was fine with me since I was teasing him a 5 gallon bucket of paint that I get free samples. Looking at the wiring to the starter I notice it's been " molested " and I just wanted to get a compression test . Well I can't seem to get any power to the starter so I improvise and drop a 22 mm socket onto the end of the drive shaft and use my air ratchet .

I got enough experience with engines to know I put enough spin on the motor to pump up my comp. gauge even with a blown head gasket should have given me 5psi .... I got nothing. Now I'm at the crossroad of ... I have an engine to rebuild .... the wiring has to be chased and rewired and the CDI is missing .

Many of the members of another forum I'm on have really pulled through with assistance and support that I'm confident with whatever direction I choose will be a positive one.

I'm not a rich man and I got 2kids in college ... 1 is starting and 1 is about to graduate.

It seems my neighbor needs more paint and I'm thinking this time I would like a 6.5 harbor freight motor or should I have him finance the rebuild back to a stock configuration with what OEM parts and /or aftermarket where need be applied .

So I'm asking everyone if I could get a little guidance on removing this original motor for a better look at what's really going on ... What is my first stepmom removal and inspection ?

I would like to keep it original

Please let me know and thank you for any and all assistance
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1490829782599-1754987458.jpg (183.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 1490829816598838242067.jpg (183.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 1490829842010-519019286.jpg (184.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 1490829922594-1813903639.jpg (175.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 14908299753221601706642.jpg (177.0 KB, 0 views)
G-gaurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-29-2017, 07:04 PM   #2
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

Default Re: G1 ... No compression at all

Welcome to BGW You have several problems confrounting you. First, you G1 is a 1979/80/81 and a wire harness may be hard to come by. 2nd- CDI's are no longer available accept for good used. A compression check calls for an engine the turn over at some higher rpm then an air wratchet will produce and you must have the throttle shaft open at wide open throttle. When you turn the primary clutch over by hand, do you feel and "locking up", do you feel and compression? Unlike the 4 cycles, the head/cylinder are seperat from the bottom end case, so you can remove the plastic shrouding, the cylender head to check for damage. You can also remove the cylinder to check for a damaged piston or rings. Since it is not a 1982 J17 low compression set up, you can buy a "top end kit", but my gut feling is you would also need to replace the cranks seals. Good luck on your project.
smallblock450sl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 09:48 PM   #3
Spicyunicorn
Gone Wild
Yamaha

These motors are easy to rebuild of your local machine shop can bore small engines it's a lot cheaper to buy oversized piston and have cylinder bored rather than buy top end kit there is a sticky of a alternative for the cdi if you're decent with wiring I just rebuilt one that included piston kit seals bearings and gasket kit plus machine shop for less than $400
Spicyunicorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 01:53 AM   #4
G-gaurd
Getting Wild

Yes yes yes
I am disassembling the top end for a good inspection and turning it by hand gave me no resistance .

I saw that CDI sticky and I got the impression I could almost pull the CDI from my kids old pocket bike ... By only 49cc ? .... A smart man might offer his skills in setting up the new CDI ready to install for a donation plus parts to a charity or collect for a fund raiser

Tomorrow I'm pressure blasting and pulling the head

I'll post the progress with photos

Thank you and God bless
Old 03-30-2017, 07:33 PM   #5
G-gaurd
Getting Wild

Yo yo yo
Wow is this a blown gasket or what ? .... Lol

So no brainier ... Top end coming off for rebuild .... Hurray

Thank you very much
Old 03-30-2017, 07:38 PM   #6
G-gaurd
Getting Wild

Crazy gasket
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20170330_113914.jpg (172.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20170330_113939.jpg (178.2 KB, 0 views)
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha