lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Lifted Golf Carts
Lifted Golf Carts Off-Road Golf Carts.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-12-2009, 11:13 AM   #1
Rock
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Actual Tire Size ?

I am looking to purchase new rims and tires for my cart 2000 ez-go. I am currently running 8" rims with 22x11x8 tires. I assumed the 22 was the outside diameter of the cart and was going to order 23x10.5 on 12" as I figured they would only be a 1/2" taller and I had that in fender clearance. last night I physically measured my existing tires which were approx. 20 1/2" tall. That got me to wondering what the actual OD of a 23x10.5 is and will it fit. I am not sure as to what size lift I have. I measured the rear blocks at the leafsprings and they were 3" and measured the front axle lift using a straight edge along the bottom of the wheel brackets and measured up to the bottom of the raised axle and got 4".

I just dont want to order wheels and tires that dont fit. Thanks.
Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-12-2009, 11:21 AM   #2
monkey-1
Monkeylicious

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Actual Tire Size ?

There are a lot of factors as to how tall a tire actually is. If a tire is rated as 23x10.50x12, there is a specific wheel size and air pressure it takes to make it that size. If you take that same tire and put it on a rim that is narrower, it will be taller and if you put it on a wheel that is wider, it will be shorter. Also, tire pressure has a lot to do with actual tire size as well as tread depth. If run 22x11x10 Mud Lites on most of my carts and I also have 23x10.50x12's on another cart and both tires are roughly the same height. If your cart is running 22 inch tires now and have no rubbing, then the 23's should be fine.
monkey-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 11:35 AM   #3
clutch
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Question Re: Actual Tire Size ?

I have a 93 ez-go with a 8" lift and i want to put 25 x 12-10 tires on they look like they will clear the body no problem, But do i need to buy offset rims so the tires don't hit the suspension and steering. if so how do i know what offset to buy.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 03:45 PM   #4
crinvick
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

10" rims for lifted carts need a 3-4 offset 12" wheels for lifted carts have a

5-2 offset and rims for non lifted carts can use both
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC07589_Out.jpg (36.4 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg DSC02083.jpg (43.4 KB, 3 views)
crinvick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 06:41 PM   #5
clutch
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Question Re: Actual Tire Size ?

the rims that i like are 10" with a 3+7 (-1) offset will these work on my cart with the 25 x12 -10 tires
Old 02-12-2009, 08:03 PM   #6
Flintrock
Raised by coyotes

Yamaha

Nice info here! I'm not a tire/ rim junky and this seems like plain English! Sticky Time???
Flintrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 09:51 AM   #7
Rock
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey-1 View Post
There are a lot of factors as to how tall a tire actually is. If a tire is rated as 23x10.50x12, there is a specific wheel size and air pressure it takes to make it that size. If you take that same tire and put it on a rim that is narrower, it will be taller and if you put it on a wheel that is wider, it will be shorter. Also, tire pressure has a lot to do with actual tire size as well as tread depth. If run 22x11x10 Mud Lites on most of my carts and I also have 23x10.50x12's on another cart and both tires are roughly the same height. If your cart is running 22 inch tires now and have no rubbing, then the 23's should be fine.
Thanks Monkey 1. That gives me a little more confidence that I am not wasting money on something that wont fit.

I know this is a loaded question, but I am running the stock controller with a speed chip now with my 22's. Will the 23's add a great deal of extra stress on the controller? I intend on upgrading to an Alltrax eventually but can only do one upgrade at a time as finances allow. I am just curious if the extra stress is going to cause me to upgrade my controller sooner than later. I know, no one has a crystal ball, just wondering from others past experience.
Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 11:53 AM   #8
monkey-1
Monkeylicious

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock View Post
Thanks Monkey 1. That gives me a little more confidence that I am not wasting money on something that wont fit.

I know this is a loaded question, but I am running the stock controller with a speed chip now with my 22's. Will the 23's add a great deal of extra stress on the controller? I intend on upgrading to an Alltrax eventually but can only do one upgrade at a time as finances allow. I am just curious if the extra stress is going to cause me to upgrade my controller sooner than later. I know, no one has a crystal ball, just wondering from others past experience.
I doubt you will even notice the difference. My lifted cart is a PDS and is running 23 inch All Trails for about 3 years without any problem. That being said, anything is possible depending on your driving style and terrain.
monkey-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 08:36 AM   #9
ruredy
Born Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by clutch View Post
the rims that i like are 10" with a 3+7 (-1) offset will these work on my cart with the 25 x12 -10 tires
Not real sure what your talking about here clutch, that rim offset size makes no sense to me, If you have a negative offset of 1" on a 10" (3+7) wide wheel then it would be 4" to the inside and 6" to the outside. no way in he11 that would fit on a cart without spacers no matter what tire you used. The only 10" dia. rims I have found that come close to this are off rearends of some models Polaris atvs with the 4 on 4" lug spacing. They're 8.5" wide with 2.5" to the inside and 6" to the outside. These rims will work without spacers in most cases. I believe Douglas will make most any kind of offset you want on a rim but you have to order them.
ruredy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 05:02 PM   #10
clutch
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

ruredy,
your right i don't know what the hell im talking about that'swhy i am asking you for your help the rim size that i put down is from a website that sells golf cart rims and i thought these would work. the tires i have are 25x12-10 here is the link to the sight were i found the rims http://golfcarttirestore.com/ any help you can give me tward buying the correct rims would be great. thank you.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Lifted Golf Carts