lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-24-2015, 12:29 AM   #1
anthonywebb
Not Yet Wild

Default DCS Cart wire gauge

I have a 36V '98 DCS cart that I am putting some new batteries (moving to 48v) in and an alltrax XCT400 controller in. Right now, there are 4 wires going to the motor, 2 (the thicker 2) appear to be maybe 6ga? The other two are lighter weight than those, maybe 12ga?

On my 88 that I redid I put 2ga wires in on all 4 wires. What are the recommended wire gauges for each of the wires if you are going with the 400amp controller and 48V? I assume you can overkill it and go all 2ga on all 4 wires, but I'd rather not overkill in unless I need to.

Thanks!
anthonywebb is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-24-2015, 08:14 AM   #2
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: DCS Cart wire gauge

All 10 high current cables need to be 4Ga or thicker for a 400A controller.

Five of the ten high current cable are shown as the boldest lines on the attached schematic, the other five are the high current cables that connect the batteries in series.

Only the two cable that connect to the A1&A2 motor terminals are high current cables.

The two wires that connect to the F1&F2 terminals on the motor only carry 30A or less and can be much smaller. The F1&F2 wires should be 10Ga.

Unless the OEM F1&F2 wires are damaged, they should suffice.

FWIW: I prefer to run the high-current cable to the A2 terminal on the motor from the controller side solenoid terminal rather than from the B+ terminal on the controller as shown on the schematic.

That way only the armature current flows in one cable and only Field current in the other instead of both currents flowing through a short cable between solenoid and controller.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg XCT-DCS.jpg (235.4 KB, 0 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 08:36 AM   #3
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: DCS Cart wire gauge

The cable kit I send with the complete XCT400 package is 4g with two 2g for the motor A1 and A2.

Original cabling is 6g with 4g for A1 and A2.

2g throughout is also acceptable.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO