lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-30-2015, 12:06 PM   #1
Freightguy
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default 2002 EZGO TXT dies after 20 minutes.

Ok I am new here so I apologize in advance if this has been covered before. I could not find it in a search. Here is my deal. I leave my cart in storage at an RV resort I own in. So I only use the cart when I am there, it may sit for a month or two at a time. A few months ago it started acting like it was not getting fuel. I removed the carb and cleaned it all out and replaced the fuel lines. The carb was not really dirty, but cleaned it out real good anyway. That did not help. I got my service manual out and start suspecting the coil. I test it and it was not in spec. Got a new coil in there last weekend and wow! Dont even have to choke it to get it going now, but sadly even though it running like new, for some reason after 20 minutes it dies and seems like its not getting fuel and may or may not backfire. When I replaced the line I put clear ones on so I could confirm fuel flow. If I let it sit for a minute or two after it dies I can go again for another minute. But to get another 20 minutes out of it, I have to let it cool completely.
I am hoping someone else may have had this issue and can point me in the right direction.
Thanks,
Freightguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-30-2015, 12:22 PM   #2
sccowboy
It ain't gonna be easy.

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 2002 EZGO TXT dies after 20 minutes.

When it dies like that, can you pull the plug and verify it is getting fire? If its getting fire, fuel, and air, it should run. How about the last time the valves were adjusted?
sccowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 02:17 PM   #3
Freightguy
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

I will bring a plug wrench with me next time and verify the spark. Valves have most likely never been adjusted.
Old 04-30-2015, 02:22 PM   #4
Kerrville78028
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freightguy View Post
I will bring a plug wrench with me next time and verify the spark. Valves have most likely never been adjusted.
Just carry an extra spark plug and ground it to the engine with a test lead to check for spark. Much faster to check it that way.
Kerrville78028 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 02:38 PM   #5
sccowboy
It ain't gonna be easy.

E-Z-GO

Take a 10mm wrench and socket along with a flat head (for valve adjustment). And an extra plug is a good idea! If there is no spark when it gets hot and dies, then we can dig into the ignition circuit. If you have spark, then we probably need to look at a fuel issue. The valves are super easy to do and won't take more than fifteen mins or so. It is possible that they are far enough out that when they get good and hot, they are not seating well.
Old 04-30-2015, 02:39 PM   #6
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

I keep an inline spark tester, It plugs in between the plug and the coil wire. This lets you see if the coil is working and it's quick (no tools)

Some coils fail when they get hot.
scottyb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 03:07 PM   #7
sccowboy
It ain't gonna be easy.

E-Z-GO

And that is an even better choice! Also you may have adjusters that are a square instead of a slot. In that case you can cheat by using a square drive screw driven into a small dowel or block of wood.
Old 04-30-2015, 03:38 PM   #8
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

If the cart quits then runs again after a cool down period the coil may be failing. If that's what's happening verify this by carry a bottle of water with you . When the cart stops pour the water over the coil, it will cool it down. If the cart is then willing to run again replace the coil.
scottyb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 02:58 PM   #9
Freightguy
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Finally got around to look at the cart. I tested the pulser coil and it came in it 20.5 ohms cold. Acceptable range is 19 to 21. Went riding till the cart quit. Put a spark plug on the manifold and got spark, not sure if it was strong because the suns out. Tested pulser coil again and got 23.1 so that is two ohms out of range. Pulser coil is a tiny little thing and they want like $180 on Ebay, Ouch.

BTW, igniter was hot to the tough but I could leave my hand on it without pain.
Old 05-12-2015, 03:02 PM   #10
sccowboy
It ain't gonna be easy.

E-Z-GO

Did you adjust the valves?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO