lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-08-2011, 01:03 PM   #1
jwdixon
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Marathon resistor question

I had my 84 Marathon out to the campground yesterday for the first time. It seemed to run fine although a little doggy going up the hills. (kinda expected that though) Brakes are terrible but that's another thread I guess.

After loading it on the trailer I had to have my wife push on the pedal to keep it to the front of the trailer so I could strap it down. We were on a slight hill and as I said brakes are not too good. While I was putting on the rear strap (it was dark out) the resistor coil was glowing. For a minute I thought I had put some underbody leds on it. Is this normal, do I have a problem, should the resistor be replaced?

I'm hoping that once Scotty gets his conversion kit done that I may be able to do that but was wondering if I needed to do anything with this now? Thanks for your help.
jwdixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-08-2011, 01:19 PM   #2
rabbitreborn
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Marathon resistor question

on an 84 marathon I believe the motor comes up between the batteries..... Scotty's conversion kit isn't currently designed for this type of cart.

As for the glowing resistor..... as Scotty calls them, Resistor carts are nothing more than glorified toaster ovens so yes, if she was holding her foot on the gas, this would cause the resistor to glow.
rabbitreborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 01:19 PM   #3
jonnymoon5
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

they normally do get hot, and sometimes do get red hot. that's just the nature of the resistor. if you floor it, it bypasses the coils and goes straight to the motor. if it's just for a short period of time, it's fine, but if you keep it slow and let them heat up it can get pretty risky.
hope that helps
jonnymoon5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 01:20 PM   #4
barcloverranch
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

That is the way those resistors work. They dissipate the unneeded energy they are drawing from the battery as heat. If you keep the pedal at anything less than full throttle for a long period of time then yes they will glow red hot, not recommended to do this for an extended amount of time. They say its best to run WOT and coast with resistor assemblies.
barcloverranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 01:39 PM   #5
BumbleBee
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbitreborn View Post
on an 84 marathon I believe the motor comes up between the batteries..... Scotty's conversion kit isn't currently designed for this type of cart.......
Rabbitreborn, Why is this? is it due to mounting location? I wouldn't think it would matter on position otherwise. Not trying to be smart aleck, just curious as I am intersted in one of Scotty's kits when they are available, but I have the perpendicular motor like the marathon has.
BumbleBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 06:52 PM   #6
jwdixon
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Thanks for the replies. I feel a little better now re: the resistor and a little worse re: the conversion kit!

I think I ran around mostly wide open as the thing really isn't that fast anyway
Old 08-08-2011, 07:00 PM   #7
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

I have converted the older front to back oriented motor carts to solid state. The component cluster just needs to get moved forward and the linkage kits shortened... it's still doable
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4644.jpg (182.9 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4647.jpg (200.3 KB, 17 views)
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 09:40 PM   #8
jwdixon
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Scotty will your conversion kit you are putting together be capable of doing that?
Old 08-08-2011, 10:40 PM   #9
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

not exactly

I mean it's kind of a yes and no answer ~ it would take some user modification. But if your willing I could walk you through it.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 11:33 PM   #10
jwdixon
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
not exactly

I mean it's kind of a yes and no answer ~ it would take some user modification. But if your willing I could walk you through it.
That's why I appreciate you on this forum so much! I'm thinking this may be a winter time project for me.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO