lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-29-2020, 12:40 AM   #11
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Default Re: G22 has me stumped.

So just to be clear....

Both carbs get fuel in the bowl but won't run?

If fuel is not filling the bowl, then you have a fuel pump issue. Replace all hoses and pump.
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-29-2020, 07:54 PM   #12
meimk
Gone Wild

Club Car

I do appreciate all the suggestions. If nothing else it confirms the same thought process I've gone through. It's got 150# of compression, good spark, good fuel flow, I've now tried 4 different carbs - including one off of another running G22, swapped insulators, new gaskets. It will run if I introduce carb cleaner or gas directly to the carb inlet. Running the hose from the fuel pump outlet directly into the carb throat it will run until the unmetered fuel flow floods the engine causing it to bog and smoke. I have cleaned and run wire up through the center jet in the carbs - all clear. I can blow through them when right side up and the needle valve will close it off when turned upside down. I was away from the shop a few days surrounding Thanksgiving but I'll be back tomorrow and will swap the entire head, insulator & carb from the running cart and see if that does anything. I'll report back what happens. Meanwhile I do appreciate the responses and if anybody's got some other ideas please let me know.
meimk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 07:46 PM   #13
meimk
Gone Wild

Club Car

Well, I still can't say exactly what about it is bad, but the cylinder head did it. It finally does run. Then spent part of the day swapping other parts back to confirm it does run correctly with the original carb, insulator, fuel pump and all. Weird. I can accept that there can be a crack or something I don't see. I don't see how such a crack could possibly pass enough air to keep it from running. But I can't argue with the fact that it DOES run again.
Old 12-01-2020, 09:13 AM   #14
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

A cracked head, bad valve etc can make an engine not run for sure. Even though you can't "see" the problem. Just chalk it up to a bad head. I know that's frustrating when you can't put a finger on the actual problem. I never would have guessed something with the head. But hey, there's a first for everything. Glad it's running!
Old 12-01-2020, 01:43 PM   #15
1arunem
Gone Wild

Still trying to understand why it would run on starting fluid, etc, but not from carb..
1arunem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 03:56 PM   #16
meimk
Gone Wild

Club Car

...and with 150 psi compression. My "best guess" is some crack/gap/opening of some kind - but it would have to be between the carb/insulator mounting surface and the intake valve. If it were a valve not seating it wouldn't have the compression. I'm thinking of taking to a machine shop and see if they can magnaflux or whatever to track it down. Just to satisfy my curiosity.
Old 12-01-2020, 05:51 PM   #17
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Most anything will run on Ether/starting fluid. That stuff is way more volatile than gasoline. All it takes is compression for it to blow. That's why diagnosing with starting fluid isn't really a true methodology. I know, it's been done for years in old diesels and tractors etc. But todays engines are made with aluminum and that stuff will blow the head right off a little aluminum golf cart engine. Yep, magnafluxing will find cracks.
Old 12-01-2020, 09:46 PM   #18
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Unless the valve wasn’t actually opening all the way? I don’t know if these have overhead cams but that could be an issue as well if so. Older Polaris 4wheelers had a big problem with camshaft lobes wearing off the intake valves. They would run weaker and weaker until they just flat out quit running all together.
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha