lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-20-2008, 09:38 AM   #1
driggars
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Removing brake drums?

On one of my ezgo cars, 85 model, I need to know the best method to remove the brake drums? these have the splined shafts, They seem very hard to get off no matter what I try. I need to replace some brake shoes.
Clint D
driggars is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-21-2008, 01:20 PM   #2
pggroves
steeplejack x

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Removing brake drums?

Not being a smart a$$, but make sure parking brake is released.

Couple more suggestions:

Tap the drum at the top and bottom and with your hand try to pull the sides out. Take a screw driver and work it in at the top, and hit the drum with a hammer at the bottom, then continue to work the screw driver and the hammer around the drum.

OR

Take a small chisel and put it behind the drum on the little lip that is there and whack it with the hammer, you can work the drum off that way too.

Either method should work. The drum splines are probably toast so you'll probably need new drums anyway.

Good luck.
pggroves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 12:12 AM   #3
Andy4639
48/400/Alltrax HS motor

E-Z-GO

Take the cables loose on the backside of the backing plate. This will let you work the brakes by hand. Then do as pggroves suggested. Whack the heck out of the hubs around and around the outside diameter of the hub.
The shoes have worn a groove into the hub more than likely if it hard to get off.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 05:18 AM   #4
stewartfan
Not Yet Wild

We are having the same problem. I will post a picture of this later but here is the story. Found out the brakes did not work so start the inspection process. This drum was so bad that most of the sides were gone. When we went to hammer the rest of the sides came off. We have pried and hammered during the whole process the brakes are now out of it. No worries there we have a extra rear end that the Axel is broke out of so we can replace those parts. The problem is that we still can not get this dang drum off. Got worried that we would pull the axel with all we were doing and since they are pressed in we don't want to do that. So any ideas on how the crap to get this off.
stewartfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 06:53 AM   #5
gornoman
Stay thirsty my friends!

Mixed Breed

Remove the retaining ring and pull the whole drum/axle assembly? I don't know if this is possible.
gornoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 07:04 PM   #6
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

All of these members have given some really good advice You are probably fighting a rust bond...Have you been applying PBblaster or a rust solvent and a BFH? (bigger - hammer) Maybe try driving it in and then out back and forth ? Lots of rust dissolver soaking in - in between attempts. I think your drum is gonna be toast as someone said...so no need to be gentle anymore! Put away the rubber mallet
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 06:30 AM   #7
Paxdad
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

It took me almost a week of heat, penetrating oil (Pb blaster), and two pullers to get my drums off an 89 Marathon. Once you get it off and start to put it back on make sure you use some type of anti-seize lube!!!!
Paxdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 06:38 AM   #8
gornoman
Stay thirsty my friends!

Mixed Breed

When I did mine awhile back the stripped hub came right off, but the other side was quite another story. Once I cracked a few pieces of the drum edge off with the hammer it eventually came off. 2 new hubs with anti-seize applied, and now they slide right off when needed.
gornoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 07:03 AM   #9
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

It is beginning to sound like every cart owner should remove their rear hubs and apply an anti-sieze lube before the drums rust to the axles....unless you live in an arid climate where rust is not an issue.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO