lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-10-2011, 10:03 PM   #1
fingerpicker
Getting Wild

Default 1982 Gas ezgo running a little on blocks, on the ground not

Hello,
I am new to the forum. I just bought a 1982 Gas Ezgo and was told that it just needed a new belt. I told the guy I was buying it for my 2 year old daughter to learn to ride on and i got burned I guess.It would crank up fine when I got it, it just wouldn't go. I have recently bought the appropriate belt for it and it still has no get up and go. I put it on blocks with the back tires up. The driven clutch spins slowly and somewhat hesitantly. I am thinking it may be bad. When I sit it back on the ground and crank it up, the drive belt and the driven clutch on transmission will not turn. I guess it doesn't have enough power or something. Aslo, I am noticing a little bit of an exhaust leak from where the gasket is on the muffler. I replaced the muffler gasket , but it is still leaking down it. Could that be a gas mixture problem that causes that leakage or something else? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
fingerpicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-10-2011, 10:40 PM   #2
Cheezygo
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: 1982 Gas ezgo running a little on blocks, on the ground not

When it's up on blocks, what are the drive and driven clutch doing? The drive (engine) clutch, should close in forcing the belt up the sheaves and the driven (axle) clutch sheaves should be spreading open allowing the belt to ride down the sheaves..

Did you try to unhook the muffler and run it?
Cheezygo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 05:08 AM   #3
fingerpicker
Getting Wild

The drive clutch is turning pretty good and consistent. The driven clutch is hesitant on the start of the turning and kind of pauses a little turning very slowly. I didn't try to run it without the muffler as you had mentioned. I thought it would have been too loud, wasn't sure.
Old 04-11-2011, 06:27 AM   #4
crash12888
Gone Crazy

So I am assuming that on blocks, the engine starts and revs up?
When it revs up, the drive or front clutch should close and squeeze the belt which will turn the driven or back clutch.
Is it reving up on blocks?
Is the front clutch closing when it revs?

What is being said about the muffler is if it is clogged it will not let the motor rev up, and as stated above the enging has to rev for the clutch system to work.
Can you post a picture of your clutch assy?
crash12888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 03:49 PM   #5
fingerpicker
Getting Wild

It doesn't rev up on the blocks. It just cranks and I can hold the accelerator to the floor when I crank it up. It just stays at a basic idling sound. I'll try to post the pics of it today or tomorrow. I have baby-sitting duties today. I also did not notice a drive clutch closing. All I see is the drive clutch turning and the driven clutch barley turning. I am also going to disconnect the muffler at the gasket and see if it was clogged like you mentioned. So, if it is clogged more than likely that could be the big problem to where engine does not rev up enough to turn driven clutch faster? Is it possible though when I disconnect muffler with the exhaust leak that it might spray more out?. The leak doesn't seem to be too bad, I was just wandering. I had read somewhere that those happen when the gas to oil mixture is not correct. I really thank you for the help on this car. My wife is on me about wasting the $500 for it and when is it going to be ready for the baby. I told her it's just going to take time.
Old 04-11-2011, 04:45 PM   #6
crash12888
Gone Crazy

Well it sounds like the motor is being turned over by the starter and not even starting so that poses a whole different direction to travel.
Can you tell the difference between a motor starting and running and one that is just spinning by the starter? You stated it ran fine when you got it, did you drive it?
Do you know how to remove the spark plug and check for spark?
Remove fuel line from carb and see if it pumps fuel when the motor spins over?
Old 04-11-2011, 05:42 PM   #7
fingerpicker
Getting Wild

It's running when I crank it. The motor turns over and cranks, it just does not rev up. It does get spark at the spark plug. I checked that. I didn't remove fuel line at carb yet. I know one thing that my neighbor had checked was taking the air filter off and checking for pressure. He thought it was alright. He didn't use a gauge or anything though.He said that it was sucking pretty good through there. Yeah , when I got it , he cranked it several times for me. I believe I recall him not reving up though. He just cranked it over and over. It just would not go and he said it was because it needed a new belt and more or less that it was belt driven mainly and that was why. I took him at his word , because of being an old farmer and having all his grandkids around. He said recently he had the engine rebuilt for $200 and hasn't even been broken in real good.He got a deal and a Kawasaki Mule I believe it was, so this one has been sitting behind his barn for 4 or 5 months. He also put a new solenoid on which I had to rewire lol, because it was killing the batttery. I know all my electrical parts are good to go though. My neighbor knows all about electronics and checked to see if there was constant contanuity. I am praying it is just the muffler or the driven clutch. I'll check the fuel line and take muffler off tomorrow.I couldn't get the free time today.

Last edited by fingerpicker; 04-11-2011 at 05:44 PM.. Reason: word mis-spelled
Old 04-11-2011, 07:37 PM   #8
crash12888
Gone Crazy

Don't mess with the clutch. You need to engine to start and rev to determine if you have clutch issues.

"It's running when I crank it. The motor turns over and cranks, it just does not rev up."

I don't mean to sound condesending but it is not running when it is cranking. It is running once the motor starts and revs past the starter RPMs.
A lot of people say it's running but won't rev only to find 5 pages later the starter was what was turning the motor.
Push the pedal and notice the sound, then pull the plug wire off of the plug and push the pedal again, any difference in sound or RPM?
Old 04-11-2011, 07:53 PM   #9
roady89
nimda
Club Car

The engine is NOT running, its just being cranked by the starter. Get your mind off the clutches right now cause thats not it. The muffler could be plugged but....unlikely it would kill it completely. You say its getting spark but I haven't seen where its getting fuel yet. Is the plug wet?, how is the spark?. How is the plug?
roady89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 07:57 PM   #10
roady89
nimda
Club Car

Might slip the belt off till you get it running to. Makes it a little easier. The CLUTCH belt...not the starter belt.
roady89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO