lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-10-2013, 08:31 PM   #1
Springbok
Photoshop Guy

Club Car

Question Driving in Water

Should I be able to drive my gas cart through water? There's a creek that I cross on a regular basis with no issue; but when it rains, the creek rises to the point where the water level may be high enough to submerge part of my drive clutch. I've not taken the cart through the deeper water for fear of possible clutch damage or belt slippage resulting in being stranded in the middle of the creek. Anyone have any experience? I have the HD belt on the cart, which is supposed to work better in wet conditions, but this would be a partially submerged condition.
Springbok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 09:05 PM   #2
crash test dummy

Default Re: Driving in Water

i don't know about the belt but as a jeep guy i know that it sucks to get water in the air intake
Old 06-10-2013, 09:19 PM   #3
fd123
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

I took my DS through some deep water over the weekend with no problems. I always wash my cart out really good after riding and re-oil/grease. It may have slipped a little when I was going through the deeper stuff, but it did fine.
fd123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 10:37 PM   #4
2monsters
Gone Wild

Club Car

The deepest I have been with my DS was water just over the floor board, and I have an 6" AS super sport lift with 22's on 10's I have the HD belt and it did start slipping. The main thing I suggest is stay on the gas to avoid the muffler filling up with water lol. I would also worry about the box with the fuses and regulator. I don't think I would want to submerge that.

I have also hosed down my clutch in mait mode. I do a lot of mudding with my buggie and you would not believe how much dirt gets in the clutch from opening and closing.
2monsters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 05:16 AM   #5
clubcarjeff
Gone Wild

Club Car

If the drive clutch is submerged, it will slip for a little bit but no harm done. The air inlet is under the cowl and can take in water which will ruin an air filter. If enough gets in and is ingested by the engine, you may bend the rod. You can try fabricating a snorkle system if you wanna get crazy.......
clubcarjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 06:00 AM   #6
lockman1
What the ....?

Club Car

The intake duct system didn't get introduced to the DS's until around the 2000.5 models,
Most, if not all prior years only have the air intake just through the choke button! (1987 DS gas)

I also have the SD belt, and yeah it slips when it gets wet, but not near as bad as a stock belt!

lockman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 07:25 AM   #7
Springbok
Photoshop Guy

Club Car

Ok well that's all good news. This creek water will not even make it to my floorboards, so I should be ok. Thanks guys.
Springbok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 07:09 PM   #8
jeostang
Not Yet Wild

what about getting the starter generator wet?
jeostang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 12:53 PM   #9
Streetbu
Gone Wild

Club Car

Kind of surprised that no one has used a sealed cvt belt box yet... They are made, I would guess they would have to modified a little to work for our use but shouldn't be that hard.

Streetbu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 04:09 PM   #10
pachanga90
I Refuse To Get Stuck!!!

E-Z-GO

The best thing to do,is grease your front-end after a lot of water-use.Lubing clutches(the shaft-area on Drivens)doesn't hurt either.I go thru water up to my floors regularly,and as long as I keep the rpm up,it will go a long way before it slips enough to stop.The best way I found to "Dry" the belt,is as soon as you come out of a water-hole,nail the gas.The slipping at high rpm will shed the water fairly quick.The biggest issue with the belt-covers,is there are so many differences on carts,since there are sop many models,and engine combos'.I want to build one for mine,but probably won't happen this year.Hope this helps.
pachanga90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car