lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Design Center
Design Center Shop tools, fabrication and Paint and Body

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-08-2010, 04:35 PM   #1
wacoblain
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Question Dune Buggy Style Top/Cage

I am about to build a dune buggy style top for my 97 ezgo and would like some input from the more experienced. I have 1" OD tubing, pipe bender, welder, and have done the calculations, but would like some input before starting. Also, I do understand that it will not be a true cage and will not support the weight of an upside down cart but it will be better than the stock top, besides, its more for looks than function.

The plan is to use the existing front fender bolt mounts as the new mounts. It will run at a more aggressive angle to the top (turning flat above the steering wheel rather than the dash) with a slight rise towards the back. I will be putting in bucket seats so existing rear struts/top support location will be removed and instead pipe will run from the top angled back and inward and bolting into the bag well next to the bumper. A canvas top will be used in place of the plastic top.

Does any one have experience with similar fab? What are the measures of the stock cart (distance between fender bolts, bag well etc) I will be building with the cart near by but anything that would keep me from going to the body after every cut and bend would be helpfull. Any suggestions are welcome and any experience is appreciated.
wacoblain is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-08-2010, 04:52 PM   #2
sierrakjf
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Default Re: Dune Buggy Style Top/Cage

no an easy go but this is my "cage" for my g2. In my opinion the 1" tube is too small. I went with 1.5". Just my opinion
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0195.jpg (148.1 KB, 50 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0192.jpg (145.0 KB, 49 views)
sierrakjf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 05:11 PM   #3
wacoblain
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Agree on the 1" but it will allow for the install of stock windshield mounts. Additionally I have access to dozens upon dozens of trash tarp bows (semitrucks) which is what the first cage will be made from. After a practice/primary build with the 1" i do intend to build with larger pipe, but that may be this summer or the one after, or after, I'm sure plenty on here know how that goes. Any way, material and time is free so it is a good starting point and practice as I'm new to carts.
Old 12-12-2010, 11:05 PM   #4
ckiguy
Bad *** Speller!

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by wacoblain View Post
I am about to build a dune buggy style top for my 97 ezgo and would like some input from the more experienced. I have 1" OD tubing, pipe bender, welder, and have done the calculations, but would like some input before starting. Also, I do understand that it will not be a true cage and will not support the weight of an upside down cart but it will be better than the stock top, besides, its more for looks than function.

The plan is to use the existing front fender bolt mounts as the new mounts. It will run at a more aggressive angle to the top (turning flat above the steering wheel rather than the dash) with a slight rise towards the back. I will be putting in bucket seats so existing rear struts/top support location will be removed and instead pipe will run from the top angled back and inward and bolting into the bag well next to the bumper. A canvas top will be used in place of the plastic top.

Does any one have experience with similar fab? What are the measures of the stock cart (distance between fender bolts, bag well etc) I will be building with the cart near by but anything that would keep me from going to the body after every cut and bend would be helpfull. Any suggestions are welcome and any experience is appreciated.
i guess calling jakes lift kit or buggies unlimited and looking at there upper brush gaurd are out of the question? 500 for a kit, powder caoted and shipped, it takes you a few hrs and bammo all done!
ckiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 09:42 AM   #5
wacoblain
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

I've looked over the available guards but they do not address three of my main goals: Cheap (the cart is worth less than the powder coat), originality (I have existing top w/windshield but want something that's unlike the next guy's), and the experience of building/working on the cart. The cart itself is a PoS and not the last I intend to own or modify.
Old 12-13-2010, 10:29 AM   #6
DOOmsman
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Waco post up pics as you go.
Do you have a tubing notching jig?
DOOmsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 11:03 AM   #7
wacoblain
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Doomsman-attention from a pro thanks!
No jig but miles of pipe fence experience. I plan on starting just after new year and will try to document and provide measures for the community, give a little back of what i've taken from you guys.
Old 12-13-2010, 12:42 PM   #8
BRS
Master BS'r

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOOmsman View Post
Waco post up pics as you go.
Do you have a tubing notching jig?
What did you call him?
BRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 02:03 PM   #9
ckiguy
Bad *** Speller!

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by wacoblain View Post
I've looked over the available guards but they do not address three of my main goals: Cheap (the cart is worth less than the powder coat), originality (I have existing top w/windshield but want something that's unlike the next guy's), and the experience of building/working on the cart. The cart itself is a PoS and not the last I intend to own or modify.
no golf cart is a pos! there just never been showed the proper care and love the deserve and respect! if you build it, it will shine!
ckiguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cage, roll cage, top support
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Design Center