lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-01-2010, 08:06 PM   #1
xchief
Not Yet Wild

Default 87 EZGO, axle & break drum, spline drive

On my 87, because of the grand kids and their friends can not seam to come to a complete stop before changing directions, they keep stripping the fine spline in the break drum assembly. I am sure this is a safety feature but these splines are real small and the cast iron drums are soft. In order to keep from always replacing the drums, can the drum be pinned with a shear pin (like a boat prop) or some other type fix? Can the real axles be changed out to a newer type that does not use the fine spline drive?

Any help is appreciated.
xchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-01-2010, 08:11 PM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 87 EZGO, axle & break drum, spline drive

I think if you beef up the drum to axle connection you will end up stripping it out on the inside which will be more expensive to fix ..... you are torquing the castle nut to 100 Ft Pounds each time you change them? If so tell the little buggers that the next one to strip the hub is getting a (insert proper punishment here)
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 08:20 PM   #3
mikesmotortoys
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

It will be much better to give some additional driving lessons Pinning the rear drum would be a bad idea!

Factory EZGO - Bad Boy Buggy - Dixie Chopper Mowers
mikesmotortoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 10:39 PM   #4
iaefebs
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

I think the biggest reason for the spline damage is not getting the hub nut torque that is required. The castle nut has to be near 90 ft lb and above and then tightened to the next level to insert the cotter pin.
iaefebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 10:55 PM   #5
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by iaefebs View Post
I think the biggest reason for the spline damage is not getting the hub nut torque that is required. The castle nut has to be near 90 ft lb and above and then tightened to the next level to insert the cotter pin.
You may be right. That is why I mentioned it in my last post. I have done some awful things to a golf cart but I have yet to strip a hub.
Old 03-01-2010, 11:02 PM   #6
xchief
Not Yet Wild

Thanks to all for the quick reply's and advice. I bet its the torque you are talking about. I have never torqued the drums. Only tightened to where I could inset the cotter pin. Not having a service manual is my problem and the guy I buy drums from has never mentioned this. I guess he can sell more drums that way. Once again thanks.

PS They have been having to pay for the parts, but Grand dad has to do the work. Torque wrench here we come.
xchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 11:06 PM   #7
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Glad we could help
Old 03-01-2010, 11:55 PM   #8
iaefebs
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

If you don't have a torque wrench tighten it more than you think it should be and then tighter to the next opening. The inner and outer washers and drum hub are all specific thickness and need to be the right part number.
iaefebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO