lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-22-2010, 11:39 PM   #1
burrogrande
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default How to get a VIN number

Hello,
I would like to know how is it possible to put a VIN number in my golf cart. I have serial number, but to convert it in a LSV I would need a VIN number here in MA.
Best regards
burrogrande is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-23-2010, 12:53 AM   #2
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

Default Re: How to get a VIN number

Most states allow the use of the original serial number as a VIN for custom built vehicles that don't have a valid MSO (Manufacturers Statement of Origin) or title, you may want to contact your state DMV and start there, they might be able to give you some pointers (another great source for "alternative" ways to title are custom bike shops) - the regulations may be different for LSV's though (best to find out the legal stuff from the legal guys, that's my story and I'm sticking to it)

THAT being said ...

"Back in the Day" Alabama and a few other states used to allow you to get a title for just about ANYTHING with some kind of number on it for $65 via mail (even one you stamped on it yourself - from what I've heard :) - if your cart is pre-95 (or you're willing to guess that it "might" be) try broadwaytitle dot com
BrewCityMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 10:55 AM   #3
dougmcp
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrewCityMusic View Post
Most states allow the use of the original serial number as a VIN for custom built vehicles that don't have a valid MSO (Manufacturers Statement of Origin) or title,
I respectfully disagree with "most states" it should be "some states" like Florida and maybe a couple of others but unfortunately MA is not one of them.
MA is a tough state, I doubt you can register your golf cart as an LSV without the 17 digit VIN. These need to issued by the manufacturer and they will not/can not issue them after the fact.

Here is an except from the MA gov website on the issue:
Low Speed Vehicle (LSV)

A "low speed vehicle" is any . . .

* 4-wheeled motor vehicle that . .
o has a 17-digit VIN
o has been issued a Certificate of Origin
o has a gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) of less than 3,000 pounds
o has a top speed greater than 20 mph but not greater than 25 mph, and
* is National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA)-certified as a "Low Speed Vehicle," demonstrated by . . .
o The Certificate of Origin listing the body style or body type as "LSV" or "Low Speed Vehicle"
o The Manufacturer's Certification Label posted on the vehicle containing the VIN and indicating the TYPE of vehicle as a "Low Speed Vehicle."

dougmcp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 11:02 AM   #4
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

Wow - and I thought WI was strict ... We don't have LSV licensing here, but as I mentioned above, "Hobbyist' and/or "Home Construction" vehicles can be registered, provided they meet the basic safety criteria and are capable of 25mph or more on level ground, that may be another angle to approach it from in your state, I'm not sure ...

Again, though, you could always get a mail-order title in XXXXXX state, then you circumvent any questions in your state as it becomes a simple title transfer, right?
BrewCityMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 11:48 AM   #5
dougmcp
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrewCityMusic View Post
Wow - and I thought WI was strict ... We don't have LSV licensing here, but as I mentioned above, "Hobbyist' and/or "Home Construction" vehicles can be registered, provided they meet the basic safety criteria and are capable of 25mph or more on level ground, that may be another angle to approach it from in your state, I'm not sure ...

Again, though, you could always get a mail-order title in XXXXXX state, then you circumvent any questions in your state as it becomes a simple title transfer, right?
WI has adopted the FMVSS 500 49 CFR Part 571 rules: http://www.nhtsa.gov/cars/rules/rulings/lsv/lsv.html
The rules state that LSV's are defined by a speed of no less than 20mph and no greater than 25mph for municipal road use on streets posted at 35mph or less. Off road vehicles are a different category as are golf carts which by manufacturers are limited in speed to 19mph.
Your municipality may allow additional provisions but generally they stick to the laws of the state and add their own twists.
The Broadway Title Company will only issue titles based on the submission of a valid VIN number, they won't make new ones.
Old 09-23-2010, 04:00 PM   #6
burrogrande
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

And is it possible to register in other state and used it in MA?
Maybe I can get the papers from Florida, and then pass the inspection in MA with plates from Florida. Is that possible?
Old 09-23-2010, 04:19 PM   #7
COURTESYCART
Gone Wild

Are states allowing GAS carts to be classified as lsv? I was thinking the LSV/NEV was all electric.

And yes I have a utility trailer (5x that is about 25 years old. I had to get a tag for it 3-4 years ago. I made up a VIN so i could get a tag for it. I just told my DMV it was homemade. I filled out a piece of paper and she handed me a tag. They didn't even ask to see it. Gotta love ALABAMA sometimes.
COURTESYCART is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 04:40 PM   #8
dougmcp
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by COURTESYCART View Post
Are states allowing GAS carts to be classified as lsv? I was thinking the LSV/NEV was all electric.
LSV's (Low Speed Vehicles) can be either gas or electric and NEV's (Neighborhood Electric Vehicles) obviously are only electric.
Rebates, special parking permits etc. were only available on NEV's as they were alternate energy and zero emissions vehicles.
Here's a ZEV parking permit from one of my neighbor hood carts:
Attached Images
File Type: png ZEV Decal.png (12.6 KB, 75 views)
Old 10-01-2010, 02:49 PM   #9
burrogrande
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Do anyone know if in NY or NH is VIN number also required?
Maybe I can go there and register it and then use it in MA with those plates...
Old 10-01-2010, 03:09 PM   #10
dougmcp
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by burrogrande View Post
Do anyone know if in NY or NH is VIN number also required?
Maybe I can go there and register it and then use it in MA with those plates...
Yes to both places.
In NY you would have to add a speedometer/odometer, windshield wiper, DOT windshield, defroster, SAE/DOT headlights w/Hi-Lo, 3rd brake light and back up light.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO